Re: [tied] Re: Etruscan related to proto-indo-european? Is Linear A Luwian?

  • Rick McCallister
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 24, 2009

      --- On Thu, 4/23/09, Francesco Brighenti <frabrig@...> wrote:

      From: Francesco Brighenti <frabrig@...>
      Subject: [tied] Re: Etruscan related to proto-indo-european? Is Linear A Luwian?
      To: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, April 23, 2009, 6:21 PM

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroup s.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@ ...> wrote:

      > Now, would you be kind enough to fill me in a bit more re:
      > Morpurgo-Davies? My personal view is that while there are some
      > demonstrable links between Ancient Greek and Anatolian in the form
      > of what seem to be loanwords (i.e. as a possible minor adstrate),
      > that I haven't seen enough to establish Anatolian as a substrate.

      Morpurgo-Davies' paper goes in the same direction. You can read it here:

      http://tinyurl. com/cfcuex

      Unfortunaly, some key pages are missing (as usual) from the preview on Google.

      Best wishes,
      Francesco

      Morpurgo Davies definitely dots her i's and crosses her t's.

      Since her paper, Ray Brown's compendium of Cretan Greek words of unknown origin has appeared but , obviously, it's regional. Has anyone done anything interesting with his list?

      There definitely does seem to be some type of IE substrate/adstrate in Greek, but from the Balkans, rather than Anatolia. The aspirated/non-aspirated alternations, seem closer to Macedonian. Perhaps either one of the waves of Greeks originally spoke something similar to Macedonian.