5 = "hand"

  • Pavel A. da Mek
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 31 3:53 AM
      > there are languages where 2 = "many", 5 = "hand", etc.

      There were two systems of counting on fingers or digits: excluding the
      thumb and including the thumb. So the numeral 5 was literally "with
      thumb" and 4 "without". This allows us to reconstruct pre-PIE words

      kWe "with"
      pen "thumb"
      twor "out"
      pen-kWe "with thumb > five"
      kWe-twor "without > four"

      P.A.

      (This message is intended to be read tomorrow.)
    • kishore patnaik
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 31 3:55 AM
        In Hindi, Panza is both (open)palm and five.

        Kishore patnaik

        --
        Should you find yourself the victim of other people’s bitterness, ignorance, smallness or insecurities, remember things could have been worse – you could be one of them!
      • Joao S. Lopes
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 31 8:00 AM
          puk-, pug- "fist", like in pygme:, pugnus, pugnare, fight, etc.
          penkWe < *pWenkWe? <?< *pWekW-ne or *peukW-ne ?

          De: kishore patnaik <kishorepatnaik09@...>
          Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
          Enviadas: Terça-feira, 31 de Março de 2009 7:55:57
          Assunto: Re: [tied] 5 = "hand"

          On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Pavel A. da Mek <a.da_mek0@ufoni. cz> wrote:

          > there are languages where 2 = "many", 5 = "hand", etc.

          There were two systems of counting on fingers or digits: excluding the
          thumb and including the thumb. So the numeral 5 was literally "with
          thumb" and 4 "without". This allows us to reconstruct pre-PIE words

          kWe "with"
          pen "thumb"
          twor "out"
          pen-kWe "with thumb > five"
          kWe-twor "without > four"

          P.A.

          (This message is intended to be read tomorrow.)

          --
          Should you find yourself the victim of other people’s bitterness, ignorance, smallness or insecurities, remember things could have been worse – you could be one of them!

          Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes
        • Rick McCallister
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 31 8:48 AM
            --- On Tue, 3/31/09, Pavel A. da Mek <a.da_mek0@...> wrote:

            . . .
            > > there are languages where 2 =
            > "many", 5 = "hand", etc.
            >
            > There were two systems of counting on fingers or digits:
            > excluding the
            >
            > thumb and including the thumb. So the numeral 5 was
            > literally "with
            >
            > thumb" and 4 "without". This allows us to
            > reconstruct pre-PIE words
            >
            > kWe "with"
            >
            > pen "thumb"
            >
            > twor "out"
            >
            > pen-kWe "with thumb > five"
            >
            > kWe-twor "without > four"

            Be that as it may, we need to think through when and why numbers evolved --for agriculture, trade and or animal raising?
            Think why IE numbers are so coherent and AA aren't
            Think about a few tantalizing coincidences: 7, oct- for 4/8 in IE/Caucasus.
            Regarding IE five, some have seen 5 as "hand" or "all (the fingers of the hand)", others have seen finger as "fifth"
            I've also seen kilo explained as "handful (of seed/sand/etc.)"
            etc.
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 31 3:31 PM
              --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Pavel A. da Mek" <a.da_mek0@...> wrote:

              > > there are languages where 2 = "many", 5 = "hand", etc.
              >
              > There were two systems of counting on fingers or digits: excluding the
              > thumb and including the thumb. So the numeral 5 was literally "with
              > thumb" and 4 "without". This allows us to reconstruct pre-PIE words
              >
              > kWe "with"
              > pen "thumb"
              > twor "out"
              > pen-kWe "with thumb > five"
              > kWe-twor "without > four"

              Odd facts from
              Heinrich Werner
              Vergleichendes Wörterbuch der Jenissej-Sprachen
              'hAn,(n) (m-ketisch, n, Pl. hÁn,n´en,) 'Hand', siehe hAn,n ds.;
              arinisch (H) upega,
              arinisch (M, W, VW, Kl) p´Hjaga ds.;
              PJ *pH&n, / *pH&ng&;
              PJ (S) *pVg- ds.;
              B 1957 vgl. mit tung. hanna ds.; oder auch
              samT. feân,,
              samJen. feo, fe,
              samK. p´en,,
              samJur. pen,, pien,, pean, 'Handfläche'

              > (This message is intended to be read tomorrow.)
              By a Cretan?