RE: [tied] Re: My version

  • G&P
    Message 1 of 108 , Mar 1, 2009
      >I had an idea a couple of years ago that <aeque> "equally, evenly"

      Unfortunately, (a) the final que has a long vowel; (b) we're stuck with the
      adjective aequus. It seems unavoidable that the root is *aequ-

      Peter
    • dgkilday57
      Message 108 of 108 , Mar 9, 2009
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Trond Engen <trond@...> wrote:

        > dgkilday57:

        > >> Why can't those tribal names simply mean "the equals", "the equally
        > >> honoured"?
        > >
        > > Possibly <Aequi:> does refer to a nominally egalitarian warrior class.
        > > Plenty of tribal names refer to the warrior class rather than the people
        > > at large. In fact, that is more plausible than what I suggested about
        > > 'Plain-Dwellers'.

        > > <Aequi:coli:> is scanned with a long antepenult, so it cannot have
        > > arisen as I suggested, or given rise to <Aequi:> that way.
        >
        > How about the *kol- "be tall" of <collis> and <collum> < *kol-n-,
        > <columen> and <columna>, giving something like "the evenly standing" or,
        > with some semantic load, "the equal free men" or "the free men of the
        > Aequi"? That would relate it (on a root level, but still) to the
        > Germanic family of Ger. <Held>.
        >
        > Just in case this, for some reason obscure to me, might solve the
        > problem of the long antepenult that makes the first element a locative.
        > But why does it have to be long? It isn't an artefact of Virgil's meter
        > or something -- Vergil taking benefit of the existence of <Aequi:>?

        The modern <Cicoli> supports Vergil's /i:/, since a stressed short /i/ should have yielded *Cecoli, like It. <cece> from Lat. <cicer> 'chickpea'.

        > > Pliny refers to <Aequiculani>, and this term also requires explanation.
        >
        > If the antepenult is long, could this be the original compound? <Aequi:>
        > + *eculani "horse-(or foles-)men"? Either way, one explanation for both
        > compounds would be preferable.

        <Aequiculani> might be specifically 'inhabitants of Aequiculanum', the latter preserved as <Cicolano>. Possibly <Aequi:> and <Aequi:culi:> referred to distinct tribes. If we bring in the root of Grk. <(w)eiko:n> 'likeness, image', <(w)e(w)oika> 'I resemble' discussed earlier, perhaps we can decompose <Aequi:culi:> as *Aequivi:culi: 'those who resemble the Aequi, the Pseudo-Aequi'. The formation of *vi:culus 'resembling', earlier *weikulos, would parallel <cre:dulus>, <pendulus>, <bibulus>, etc. A compound form is illustrated by <sacrificulus>, which is not a diminutive of <sacrificus>. In Livy the rex sacrificulus took the place of the ousted king as the officiant at sacrifices; the term means 'sacrificing', not 'little sacrificer'. Presumably the simple verb *vi:co: 'I liken, resemble' vel sim. would have fallen out of use in Latin; some of its parts would have been confused with those of <vinco:> and <vi:vo:>.

        DGK