Re: Greek kitharis

  • stlatos
    Message 1 of 53 , Dec 31, 2008
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "bmscotttg" <BMScott@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos" <stlatos@> wrote:
      >
      > > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "bmscotttg" <BMScott@> wrote:

      > >> You did, however, say that it was the source of all known
      > >> languages, which is what is normally meant by 'Proto-World'.
      >
      > > Not at all. There may be languages spoken that haven't been
      > > discovered or examined by linguists, or not described at all
      > > (or well enough for correct classification), and some undeciphered
      > > languages obviously could be non-PIE.
      >
      > Irrelevant. Your statement, which for some reason you conveniently
      > erased from this response, was:

      > From which it obviously follows that all known languages are
      > either currently classified as IE or in fact II.

      Yes.

      > Unless you
      > care to maintain that some languages now classified as IE in
      > fact are not IE, you very clearly *are* claiming that all
      > known languages are IE. Which is lunacy.

      No, I said it and it's true. What are you objecting to about my
      response? I said there could be unknown languages that were non-IE,
      etc., so PIE wouldn't equal "Proto-World" if there were. I said there
      were almost certainly languages spoken in the past that weren't IE,
      maybe some written but undeciphered, and so on.

      This PW is supposedly the source of all languages because of it was
      the original (or very old if some other early branches died out in the
      interim). A recent replacement by PIE of other languages, even if
      total, wouldn't change the nature of such an original language or
      destroy the possibility of discovering something of non-IE languages
      by some unusual means. Your claim of my theory meaning there would be
      an equivalency between PIE and PW is not so, and you haven't given any
      reason for your apparent (continued) misunderstanding.
    • Arnaud Fournet
      Message 53 of 53 , Jan 3, 2009
        From: "stlatos" <stlatos@...>

        > The reconstruction of PIE isn't affected by the evidence of a non-IE
        > language.

        Unless this non IE language helps us getting aware of something previously
        gone unnoticed.

        A.