Res: Res: [tied] Reindeer domestication : two origins

  • Joao S. Lopes
    Message 1 of 48 , Dec 15, 2008
      I'd guess an alternative way to krios, relating it to Latin arie:t-. Maybe some Mediterranean *xriy-. Is it possible? I've never read about a good explanation for Latin word aries.

      JS Lopes

      De: Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...>
      Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
      Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 15 de Dezembro de 2008 17:56:53
      Assunto: Re: Res: [tied] Reindeer domestication : two origins

      On 2008-12-15 21:32, Joao S. Lopes wrote:

      > krios "ram"
      > hrinthar- "cow"
      > s^r.nga "horn"
      > xerut- "deer, stag"
      > kerambos, terambos "stagbeetle"
      >
      > Are they independent developments from same root k^erh- "head, horn", or
      > may represent diverse PIE names from horned beasts?

      Some of them can't be derived from *k^erh2-. It seems that
      *k^erh2(-ser/ n-) means basically 'head', while most 'horn(ed)' words are
      derived from *k^erh2w- (cervus, *xerut-, Slavic *korva 'cow', etc.),
      *k^ren- (Slavic *sIrna 'roe-deer', s'r.Nga-, perhaps Rind) and possibly
      *k^rei- (*xraina-, krios). As an intriguing complication, stagbeetles
      and hornets seem to have names derived from 'head' rather than 'horn'
      (*k^erh2-... , *k^r.h2-sr-e: n). We seem to be dealing with an ancient set
      of related roots with various pre-PIE "extensions" , no longer analysable
      in the protolanguage. *k^ren- and *k^rei- are vocalised differently from
      *k^erh2-, since PIE did not allow two sonorants at the end of a root.

      Piotr

      Veja quais são os assuntos do momento no Yahoo! + Buscados: Top 10 - Celebridades - Música - Esportes
    • Joao S. Lopes
      Message 48 of 48 , Dec 29, 2008
        Hesychius registered a word "karten" for cow in Cretan, that Robert Graves related to Gortys. Is it plausible?

        JS Lopes

        De: Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...>
        Para: cybalist@yahoogroups.com
        Enviadas: Segunda-feira, 15 de Dezembro de 2008 18:23:08

        On 2008-12-15 22:10, Rick McCallister wrote:

        > and Slavic kurva?

        Doesn't fit. By the way, Rasmussen makes a very persuasive case for
        Balto-Slavic *ka:rwas 'ox'/*ka:rwa: 'cow' being loans from Proto-Celtic
        (*kar&wo- < *k^er&2wo- by so-called Joseph's Law).