RE: [tied] Verdict on Mann

  • G&P
    Message 1 of 44 , Dec 1, 2008

      >If anyone can tell me
      the occurrences of velars vs. palatals in LIV

      A rough count, based on Bird’s roots (the basic roots extracted from Pokorny), puts initial *k’ at 88, and initial *k at 166.

      Medially, it’s *k’ 13  and *k 17.

      There are also about 37 roots with initial *(s)k or *sk, where the distinction between *k’ and *k should be lost (though I note I have also listed 8 roots in *(s)k’ – either my fault, or Bird has listed them that way.)

      I also have Mann, and find it gives access to the Armenian and Albanian material better than Pokorny.  But the lack of an index makes it mostly useless.

      Peter

    • Arnaud Fournet
      Message 44 of 44 , Dec 17, 2008
        From: "stlatos" <stlatos@...>

        > Skt u:s.ará- > *u:s.rà > s.urà 'saltpeter'

        Therefore, Kamviri z.úk 'salt' must be borrowed from Skt:

        So I'd reply to:

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Piotr Gasiorowski" <gpiotr@...> wrote:

        > Zupanija (Z = "zh" or "z^") is derived from Zupan 'the
        > supervisor of a Zupa (a salt mine, sometimes also a salt or
        > silver depot)' -- a very important function in early Slavic
        > states, as salt production was an extremely lucrative
        > business, usually monopolised by the ruler. Zupan eventually
        > came to mean something like 'alderman' or 'sheriff' in
        > Anglo-Saxon England -- a royal official responsible for an
        > administrative unit. As characteristically Iranian agent
        > nouns in -pa:na- (cf. Indic -pa:- < IE *pax-) mean
        > 'guardian, supervisor, protector', an Iranian connection
        > used to be proposed for Zupan as well, but the idea has been
        > abandoned by most scholars: the morphological division is
        > after all Zup-an rather than Zu-pan. However, Zupa itself is
        > a mysterious word and I'd like to see a convincing etymology
        > of it myself. Slavic *Z comes from earlier *g(W) palatalised
        > before a front vowel (that is, Zupa < something like
        > *geup-a:), which seems to rule out any connection with the
        > Tamil word.

        Since k>p by u in some Dardic, as Khow *pr,zdn,kús > *purdumpu^ >
        purdúm 'leopard', Kamviri z.úk 'salt' was likely related to an
        Indo-Iranian language with z.>z^ in which *z.u:kWa > *z^upa 'salt'
        existed.

        Therefore, as a borrowing into Slavic no earlier gW > gY is needed.

        ========

        And what about Kartvelian zGva "sea"
        as a direct etymon to *s.ura, *zu-pa ans *z.uk "salt" ?

        A.