Re: [tied] Re: Vandals

  • Brian M. Scott
    Message 1 of 57 , Aug 31, 2008
      At 5:16:52 AM on Sunday, August 31, 2008, tgpedersen wrote:

      >--- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, george knysh <gknysh@...>

      >> Torsten is not a man of science but an ideologist,

      > Not really. I stick to Popper's model.

      George is right: what you do isn't science, à la Popper or

      >> [He] is only interested in finding evidence in science
      >> which supports this prejudice.

      > Of course.

      If you were a real scientist, you'd also be interested in
      subjecting your 'theories' to rigorous testing.

      > And it's 'theory'.

      Perhaps; but it most certainly is prejudice, as you have in
      fact acknowledged in connection with some of the off-topic
      (political) threads.

      >> Four of his favourite techniques are :

      >> (1) the reversal of responsibility: i.e. he makes an
      >> unproved assertion and then expects you to disprove it;

      > Popper.

      Absolutely not. Neither Popperism nor naive
      falsificationism (which seems closer to what you actually
      have in mind) says anything about where the onus lies. In
      the real world a 'scientist' who doesn't take some
      responsibility for testing his assertions is an
      irresponsible jackass: irresponsible because he's wasting
      everyone's time, and a jackass because eventually he's bound
      to be caught in an obvious blunder, probably sooner rather
      than later. 'Prove me wrong' is the crackpot's motto.

      By the way, George left out at least one: routinely
      appealing to invisible 'data', justified on the grounds that
      it belonged to an unrecorded 'low' register.

      Between your thoroughly unscientific approach and your
      refusal to do even the most basic testing of your pet
      conjectures, it's impossible either to take you seriously on
      most of your favorite topics or to avoid displaying a
      certain amount of exasperation. I do occasionally do your
      work for you, when it's easy or when something piques my
      interest, but your scientific irresponsibility still pisses
      me off, and sometimes it shows.

      Message 57 of 57 , Sep 30, 2008
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen" <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

        > > "It is not clear whether the populations which Caesar consider to
        > > be Germanic also called themselves that. The Roman historian
        > > Tacitus suggests in his De origine et situ Germanorum (98 n.Chr.)
        > > [above footnote] that the name came from Caesar himself and only
        > > later was taken over by the local population: 'Some assure [...]
        > > that more [ancestors] have sprung from this god and that there
        > > are thus more original names: Marsi, Gambrivii, Suebi, Vandilii,
        > > and that those are the genuine old names; that besides the
        > > designation 'Germani' is of recent date and only came about a
        > > short time ago, since those who came first across the Rhine and
        > > drove off the Gauls and now (are called) Tongeren, then were
        > > called Germani ...' Tacitus refers in this passage very clearly
        > > to Caesar. In Tacitus' time the territory of the Eburones who had
        > > been exterminated by Caesar was inhabited by the Tongeren
        > > (Tungri)"
        > >
        > New proposal: 'Those who came first across the Rhine and drove off
        > the Gauls and now (are called) Tungri' and 'then were called
        > Germani' are the Cimbri/Teutones. That would counter your objection
        > that Caesar knew of a permanent presence (without Ariovistus) of
        > the Germani: it is another people, now called Tungri (and living in
        > Aduatuci, now Tongern).
        I just learned (from Kuhn's review of Krahe's book) that adua- is
        another of those Old European (ie. Venetic) roots. The name Tungri
        might be from later arrivals: Turingi, who must somehow be (feel)
        related to the Cimbi in Aduatuci.