Re: [tied] Re: Horses in South India

  • george knysh
    Message 1 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
      Just in passing. How long is it going to take before this individual is booted off the list? I mean there are human limits to tolerance....

      Message 2 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
        On 2008-08-03 20:53, george knysh wrote:

        > Just in passing. How long is it going to take before this individual is
        > booted off the list? I mean there are human limits to tolerance....

        Such questions should be asked on Cybalist_admin or off-list.

        Message 3 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
          On 2008-08-03 07:28, kishore patnaik wrote:

          > Your negationist tendencies are well known. What you write is a sheer
          > mockery of all accepted norms of truth and logic [etc.]

          Dear Kishore,

          Don't start another flame war on Cybalist. With your record of
          misbehaviour yopu are likely to be its first victim. Please take this
          warning seriously.

          Message 4 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
            On 2008-08-03 21:00, Piotr Gasiorowski wrote:

            > On 2008-08-03 07:28, kishore patnaik wrote:
            >
            > > Your negationist tendencies are well known. What you write is a sheer
            > > mockery of all accepted norms of truth and logic [etc.]
            >
            > Dear Kishore,
            >
            > Don't start another flame war on Cybalist. With your record of
            > misbehaviour yopu are likely to be its first victim. Please take this
            > warning seriously.
            >
            > Piotr

            Dear all,

            My apologies to Kishore and everyone. This message was distributed to
            the list by mistake. It was intended for Kishore's eyes only.

            Piotr
          • Rick McCallister
            Message 5 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
              Just for curiosity's sake. When did horses arrive in India? My understanding is that horses don't do very well in the tropics, especially in Africa and Asia due to tropical pathogens.
              What is the most current accepted timeline for the domestication of horses?

              Message 6 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                On 2008-08-03 21:53, Rick McCallister wrote:

                > Just for curiosity's sake. When did horses arrive in India? My
                > understanding is that horses don't do very well in the tropics,
                > especially in Africa and Asia due to tropical pathogens. What is the
                > most current accepted timeline for the domestication of horses?

                Most experts would probably agree on something like 4000 BC, somewhere
                in the steppe belt (Ukraine, Kazakhstan, southern Russia). One should
                remember that domestication is not a yes-or-no thing: it may be a
                gradual process leading from hunting to tghter and tighter control over
                animal populations, and its early stages may be hard to detect in
                skeletal remains (before the effects of artificial selection
                accumulate). It seems that about 3500 BC horse breeding was already very
                widerspread -- from Siberia to Central Europe. MtDNA studies show that
                there were _lots_ of different matrilinear ancestors of domesticated
                horses, while there's far less Y-chromosome variation, so relatively few
                stallions were involved. If confirmed, this would suggest that there
                were few original domestication events (perhaps just one) but wild mares
                continued to be captured in many different places to provide "new blood".

                Piotr
              • Rick McCallister
                Message 7 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008

                  On 2008-08-03 21:53, Rick McCallister wrote:

                  > Just for curiosity's sake. When did horses arrive in India? My
                  > understanding is that horses don't do very well in the tropics,
                  > especially in Africa and Asia due to tropical pathogens. What is the
                  > most current accepted timeline for the domestication of horses?

                  Most experts would probably agree on something like 4000 BC, somewhere
                  in the steppe belt (Ukraine, Kazakhstan, southern Russia). One should
                  remember that domestication is not a yes-or-no thing: it may be a
                  gradual process leading from hunting to tghter and tighter control over
                  animal populations, and its early stages may be hard to detect in
                  skeletal remains (before the effects of artificial selection
                  accumulate). It seems that about 3500 BC horse breeding was already very
                  widerspread -- from Siberia to Central Europe. MtDNA studies show that
                  there were _lots_ of different matrilinear ancestors of domesticated
                  horses, while there's far less Y-chromosome variation, so relatively few
                  stallions were involved. If confirmed, this would suggest that there
                  were few original domestication events (perhaps just one) but wild mares
                  continued to be captured in many different places to provide "new blood".

                  Piotr

                  My understanding is that before domestication (and after they died out in North America), wild horses were only found in the European forest and the Eurasian steppe. That they were not found south of the Caucasus or the Himalayas. Is that correct?

                  Message 8 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                    On 2008-08-03 23:14, Rick McCallister wrote:

                    > My understanding is that before domestication (and after they died out
                    > in North America), wild horses were only found in the European forest
                    > and the Eurasian steppe. That they were not found south of the Caucasus
                    > or the Himalayas. Is that correct?

                    It's more or less true of the wild progenitor of the domesticated horse,
                    the Eurasian wild horse. The division of (sub)fossil _Equus ferus_ into
                    subspecies is a matter of much debate, but it's clear that Przewalski's
                    horse (whether or not regarded as a separate species) was not ancestral
                    to domesticated horses. Other equids are also ruled out by genetic
                    research. The genus _Equus_ includes also asses, zebras, kiangs and
                    hemiones (onagers etc.). One subspecies of the last of them, the khur

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indian_Wild_Ass

                    is native to India, and other wild hemiones are distributed from the
                    Near East to Central Asia and Tibet. None of them, however, has been
                    domesticated anywhere. It used to be thought that onagers were used as
                    draught animals in ancient Mesopotamia, but those animals are now
                    believed to have been domesticated asses imported from the west (the
                    African wild ass was domesticated at roughly the same time as the
                    Eurasian wild horse).

                    Piotr
                  • Rick McCallister
                    Message 9 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008

                      On 2008-08-03 23:14, Rick McCallister wrote:

                      > My understanding is that before domestication (and after they died out
                      > in North America), wild horses were only found in the European forest
                      > and the Eurasian steppe. That they were not found south of the Caucasus
                      > or the Himalayas. Is that correct?

                      It's more or less true of the wild progenitor of the domesticated horse,
                      the Eurasian wild horse. The division of (sub)fossil _Equus ferus_ into
                      subspecies is a matter of much debate, but it's clear that Przewalski's
                      horse (whether or not regarded as a separate species) was not ancestral
                      to domesticated horses. Other equids are also ruled out by genetic
                      research. The genus _Equus_ includes also asses, zebras, kiangs and
                      hemiones (onagers etc.). One subspecies of the last of them, the khur

                      http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Indian_Wild_ Ass

                      is native to India, and other wild hemiones are distributed from the
                      Near East to Central Asia and Tibet. None of them, however, has been
                      domesticated anywhere. It used to be thought that onagers were used as
                      draught animals in ancient Mesopotamia, but those animals are now
                      believed to have been domesticated asses imported from the west (the
                      African wild ass was domesticated at roughly the same time as the
                      Eurasian wild horse).

                      Piotr

                      Regarding Mesopotamian domestication or attempts to domesticate onagers and hemiones.  Was that a misunderstanding on the part of the Greeks?

                      I've read that zebras actually are possible to domesticate but the problem is that their kidneys are so far up that any attempt to ride them produces pain.

                      But onagers and hemiones are just plain ornery, aren't they?

                      Message 10 of 26 , Aug 3, 2008
                        On 2008-08-04 00:10, Rick McCallister wrote:

                        > Regarding Mesopotamian domestication or attempts to domesticate onagers
                        > and hemiones. Was that a misunderstanding on the part of the Greeks?

                        It seems Greek authors failed to differentiate properly between wild
                        equids, especially hemiones and asses (or even, say, hemiones and
                        domestic mules).

                        > I've read that zebras actually are possible to domesticate but the
                        > problem is that their kidneys are so far up that any attempt to ride
                        > them produces pain.
                        >
                        > But onagers and hemiones are just plain ornery, aren't they?

                        So they are, damn their big ears :)

                        Piotr
                      • kishore patnaik
                        Message 11 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                          If he has written me  here, I can not understand why I should reply on C_A.

                          Just another instance.

                          Kishore patnaik

                          On Sun, Aug 3, 2008 at 10:41 PM, Brian M. Scott <BMScott@...> wrote:

                          At 1:28:48 AM on Sunday, August 3, 2008, kishore patnaik
                          wrote:

                          > Fr,

                          [snip rubbish]

                          Take it to Cybalist_admin or to private e-mail.

                          Brian M. Scott

                          --
                          Love is a fruit in season at all times,
                          and within the reach of every hand.
                          Message 12 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                            Too bad that you are taking sides, Brian.

                            How can you say I should reply it on C_A, when the same is posted to C?

                            In any case, it is a blatant show of taking sides, since you have dubbed my message as rubbish.

                            Message 13 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                              On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:
                              Just for curiosity's sake. When did horses arrive in India? My understanding is that horses don't do very well in the tropics, especially in Africa and Asia due to tropical pathogens.
                              What is the most current accepted timeline for the domestication of horses?

                              Elsewhere, some one else is arguing that horse has originated in Africa. Your point makes
                              a good counter.

                              Please write horses do not do well in the tropics (I am ignorant of this fact), meanwhile, I can
                              forward the messages posted in favor of African origins of horse.

                              Kishore patnai

                              Message 14 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                                --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "kishore patnaik"
                                <kishorepatnaik09@...> wrote:

                                > > On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 1:23 AM, Rick McCallister
                                <gabaroo6958@...>wrote:

                                > >> Just for curiosity's sake. When did horses arrive in India? My
                                > >> understanding is that horses don't do very well in the tropics,
                                > >> especially in Africa and Asia due to tropical pathogens.
                                > >> What is the most current accepted timeline for the domestication
                                > >> of horses?
                                > >>

                                > Elsewhere, some one else is arguing that horse has originated in
                                > Africa.
                                > Your point makes
                                > a good counter.
                                >
                                > Please write horses do not do well in the tropics (I am ignorant of
                                > this fact), meanwhile, I can
                                > forward the messages posted in favor of African origins of horse.

                                I thought you had argued elsewhere that the horse (Equus caballus)
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse
                                should be assigned to the genus Hippocampus
                                http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse
                                or have I misunderstood you?

                                Message 15 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                                  On 2008-08-04 12:08, tgpedersen wrote:

                                  > I thought you had argued elsewhere that the horse (Equus caballus)
                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horse>
                                  > should be assigned to the genus Hippocampus
                                  > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse
                                  > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seahorse>
                                  > or have I misunderstood you?

                                  Perhaps Kishore means the zebrafish this time.

                                  Piotr
                                • kishore patnaik
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                                    I did not understand you either, where did I do that?

                                    kishore patnaik

                                    Message 17 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008
                                      what nonsense? when did i say all this??

                                      Kishore patnaik

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Aug 4, 2008

                                        > I thought you had argued elsewhere that the horse (Equus caballus)
                                        > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Horse <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Horse>
                                        > should be assigned to the genus Hippocampus
                                        > http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Seahorse
                                        > <http://en.wikipedia .org/wiki/ Seahorse>
                                        > or have I misunderstood you?

                                        Perhaps Kishore means the zebrafish this time.

                                        Piotr

                                        Are we speaking of hippolupae, of sea whores?