DEMETAE - DOBUNNI - DUMNONII = THE sunburnt man/tanned man ?

  • patrick cuadrado
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008

      Hello

      In Celtic we'got somes britain tribes called

      Demetae

      Dobunni

      Dumonii

      all living in S.O England (Walls/Cornouailles)

      Can name's tribe come from same root

      IE Dhem/Dhum- = DARK/SMOKE

      Old irish Deim
      Old English Dimm/English Dim .
      connecting with IE Dhub(n) = BLACK/GLOOMY

      regarding to climate = Fog/smoke/mist ?

      or regarding to an etnic specificity distinction ?

      i remember the words of Tacite from Agricola speaking about Silures Tribe (neighbours form Demetae/Dobunni and Dumnonii) :

      the swarthy faces of the Silures, the curly quality, in general, of their hair, and the position of Spain opposite their shores, attest the passage of Iberians in old days and the occupation by them of these districts; ..." (Tacitus Annales Xi.ii)

      Pat
      mon blog ici
      http://blogs.allocine.fr/blogs/index.blog?blog=patrick-cuadrado

      mon cd disponible ici = Sidaventure : je pense au sida
      http://www.dailymotion.com/relevance/search/sidaventure/video/x2pc1b_si

      Envoyé avec Yahoo! Mail.
      Une boite mail plus intelligente.
    • Aigius
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2008
        Maybe name Demetae can be related to Lithuanian word DEMETAS,
        meaning DAPPLED, SPOTTED?

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, patrick cuadrado <dicoceltique@...>

        _______
        > Envoyez avec Yahoo! Mail. Une boite mail plus intelligente
        http://mail.yahoo.fr

      • patrick cuadrado
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008

          thanks Aigus

          but i ve no likns in neo -Celtic with Dem-/Dam- = spotted

          but Brixt- / Briks Brix- = variegated/colored/Spotted

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 28, 2008
            It is interesting that all three words can be explained through
            Lithuanian language. DOBUNNI looks like Lithuanian words DUOBUNAI,
            DAUBUNAI, DUBUNAI, which are made with suffix -un from words DUOBE,
            DAUBA, meaning BUMP, COOMB, DIP, and from word DUBTI, DUMBA, DUBO,
            meaning TO SAG, IS SINKING, WAS SINKING. Can English word BUMP and
            Lithuanian word DUMBA be related. Do the B is changed by the D here?
            I think we have similar accidents in these words: English word SCARP -
            Lithuanian word SKARDIS, English word POT - German word TOPH,...
            Place names with DUOB- DUB- are popular in Baltic lands: there was
            Baltic land named Duobe, there is river named Dubysa, town named
            Duobele,...
            Word DUMSUS in Old Prussian language means DARK, Ltvians have
            TUMSUS for that, Lithuanians - TAMSUS, Russians - TIOMNYJ,... Word
            DUMAI in Lithuanian language means FUME, SMOKE. Russians have DYM for
            that. Again - is DUMAI and FUME related?

            [Excess quoted matter removed. -BMS]
          • Aigius
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
              Can it be that there was Celtic word DUMNAS meaning DARK?
              Here are some Gaelic - Lithuanian words:

              Lithuanian - Gaelic - English
              UPE - ABHAINN - RIVER
              butas, buda - buth - booth
              KETVIRTIS - CEATHRAMH - QUARTER
              du - da - two
              VYRAS - FEAR - MAN
              GARDAS - GEARRAIDH - PEN
              LINAS - LIN - FLAX
              moteris - màthair - mother
              malunas - muileann - mill
              MARIOS - MUIR - SEA
              puodas - poit - pot
              RUDAS - RUADH - BROWN
              SENAS - SEAN - OLD
              SKELTI - SGOILTE - SPLIT
              sniegas - sneachd - snow
              SROVE - SRUTH - STREAM
              sedyne - suidhe - seat

              Gaelic is considered to be Q-Celtic. But does words ABHAINN and
              CEATHRAMH fit to that?

              --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Aigius" <segijus@...> wrote:

              > It is interesting that all three words can be explained through
              > Lithuanian language. DOBUNNI looks like Lithuanian words DUOBUNAI,
              > DAUBUNAI, DUBUNAI, which are made with suffix -un from words DUOBE,
              > DAUBA, meaning BUMP, COOMB, DIP, and from word DUBTI, DUMBA, DUBO,
              > meaning TO SAG, IS SINKING, WAS SINKING. Can English word BUMP and
              > Lithuanian word DUMBA be related. Do the B is changed by the D here?
              > I think we have similar accidents in these words: English word
              SCARP -
              > Lithuanian word SKARDIS, English word POT - German word TOPH,...
              > Place names with DUOB- DUB- are popular in Baltic lands: there was
              > Baltic land named Duobe, there is river named Dubysa, town named
              > Duobele,...
              > Word DUMSUS in Old Prussian language means DARK, Ltvians have
              > TUMSUS for that, Lithuanians - TAMSUS, Russians - TIOMNYJ,... Word
              > DUMAI in Lithuanian language means FUME, SMOKE. Russians have DYM
              for
              > that. Again - is DUMAI and FUME related?
              >
              > [Excess quoted matter removed. -BMS]

            • Brian M. Scott
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 29, 2008
                At 1:50:31 AM on Monday, June 30, 2008, Aigius wrote:

                > Can it be that there was Celtic word DUMNAS meaning DARK?

                PCelt. *dubno- is 'deep, world'; PCelt. *dubu- is 'black'.

                Brian