Proto Indo European (Ringe 2009).

  • mkelkar2003
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2008
      "As is usual with protolanguages of the distant past we can't say with
      certainty where and when PIE was spoken; a reasonable guess will be
      the river valleys of Ukraine in the centuries around 4000 B.C, though
      one can't absolutely exclude a somewhat earlier date, and nor a place
      somewhat further east. The best discussion of the "IE homeland
      problem" is still Mallory 1989 (this is pathetic); it is cautious and
      not fully conclusive, as is reasonable under the circumstance (Ringe
      2009, p.2, parenthesis added).

      Ringe, D. (2009). From proto indo European to proto Germanic: a
      linguistic history of English volume I. Oxford University Press.
      ISBN-13: 978-0199552290 (Paperback).

      M. Kelkar
    • Rick McCallister
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 21, 2008

        "As is usual with protolanguages of the distant past we can't say with
        certainty where and when PIE was spoken; a reasonable guess will be
        the river valleys of Ukraine in the centuries around 4000 B.C, though
        one can't absolutely exclude a somewhat earlier date, and nor a place
        somewhat further east. The best discussion of the "IE homeland
        problem" is still Mallory 1989 (this is pathetic); it is cautious and
        not fully conclusive, as is reasonable under the circumstance (Ringe
        2009, p.2, parenthesis added).

        Ringe, D. (2009). From proto indo European to proto Germanic: a
        linguistic history of English volume I. Oxford University Press.
        ISBN-13: 978-0199552290 (Paperback).

        M. Kelkar

        Let's say probably somewhere between Hungary and the Caspian. That's about where everyone narrows it down. Given that area is a plain, it allows for fluid movement and easy communication, especially among a group that seems to have either first discovered or first mastered the use of horses and wheels. And from there, over the Hindu Kush into India for most, but not all of the IA-speakers.