[tied] Re: Amber

  • Aigius
    Message 1 of 18 , Jun 2, 2008
      There is Lithuanian pagan name Gintaras, which is made from word
      GINTI, meaning TO PROTECT and TARTI, meaning TO PRONOUNCE. Compare
      with names Ginbutas, Gintautas, Ginvilas, Ginvydas, Dautaras,
      Mintaras, Viltaras, Vytaras, ...

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen" <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@>
      wrote:

      > > --- stlatos <stlatos@> wrote:
      > >
      > > > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen"

      > > > I wouldn't say all sap, pitch, or resin (whatever the
      original
      > > > range of meanings) was golden.
      >
      > No, you would probably say pitch is black. So how does that get into
      > the discussion? The relevant resins are golden.
      >
      > > > Even if the language somehow _only_ used *gi:tu to describe
      golden
      > > > amber/resin, there is no rule against redundancy in language
      and
      > > > such forms are common.
      >
      > What on earth are you talking about?

      > > Maple sap is kind of clear but boils down to brown.
      > > Copal is black.
      > > Sangre de dragón, surprise, is red.
      > > Rubber is white sap.
      >
      > Birch resin and fir resin, which is what people on the Baltic would
      > have seen trees sweating out, are amber colored.
      >

      > Torsten

    • Rick McCallister
      Message 2 of 18 , Jun 2, 2008
        --- tgpedersen <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos"
        > <stlatos@...> wrote:

        . . .
        > > You assumed with no evidence that the word you
        > believed existed
        > > always and only meant one thing, golden resin,
        >
        > No, I didn't. I pointed out that all resins you'd
        > see exude from trees
        > in these latitudes are golden, or amber-colored.

        . . .
        > *gi:tu to describe
        >
        > All ambers here are golden, that's how.

        . . .
        Not all amber is golden. On an amber page linked to
        Wikipedia "Amber" they showed various hues berween
        transparent to red to blue. Blue amber is indeed from
        the tropics but Baltic amber runs a gamut of colors
        from almost transparent to red, which I saw in photos
        of the famous Amber Room
      • Brian M. Scott
        Message 3 of 18 , Jun 2, 2008
          At 2:44:59 PM on Monday, June 2, 2008, Rick McCallister
          wrote:

          [...]

          > Not all amber is golden. On an amber page linked to
          > Wikipedia "Amber" they showed various hues berween
          > transparent to red to blue. Blue amber is indeed from the
          > tropics

          Mostly, but some Baltic amber is blue.

          > but Baltic amber runs a gamut of colors from almost
          > transparent to red, which I saw in photos of the famous
          > Amber Room

          Also white; my ex-wife has an amber pendant about the size
          of a robin's egg that's white with pale honey markings.

          Brian
          Message 4 of 18 , Jun 2, 2008
            > . . .
            > >
            > > All ambers here are golden, that's how.
            > >
            > . . .
            > Not all amber is golden. On an amber page linked to
            > Wikipedia "Amber" they showed various hues berween
            > transparent to red to blue. Blue amber is indeed from
            > the tropics but Baltic amber runs a gamut of colors
            > from almost transparent to red, which I saw in photos
            > of the famous Amber Room

            Yes, that was wrong. I meant to write 'all *resins* here are golden'.
            But I think I made that point already. We got special amber stores
            here still, there is indeed great variation there.

            Torsten
          • gknysh
            Message 5 of 18 , Jun 10, 2011

              ****GK: Cf.