Language (was: Re: African Languages (was: Re: Re[2]: [tied] Re: beyond langauges))

  • Andrew Jarrette
    Message 1 of 189 , May 1, 2008
      Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@...> wrote:

      -
      Yes I believe all languages ultimately do go back to
      Africa but, as I say, that's part of my belief in the
      unity of mankind and not something I have the
      wherewithal to prove. Give the recent revelations
      about the small population of humans in Africa and the
      split between Khoi-San and non-Khoi-San peoples, I
      would guess--not pronounce-- that language arose
      before the split and that Khoi-San was the first group
      to split from the main body of languages. After that,
      your guess is as good as mine
      --------------
      In  researching  "Khoi-San"  since I know nothing of this genetic and linguistic classification, I found the following statement about the extinct language Damin of Australia which also uses clicks like Khoi-San: "Damin is an invented ritual language, and has nothing to do with Khoisan."  If you're wondering why I am quoting this, it's because of the first part of the quote, that it is known to be an invented language.  To me, this raises the question:  Is not all language ultimately invented?  I think language must have originated in deliberate, premeditated manipulation of speech sounds for the purpose of communication, i.e. was invented, like Damin.  I don't think it was just a natural automatic act like blinking or eating.  I think it was more akin to cooking, where choices are made as to the product of the action.  Arbitrary, but deliberate.  Is language not an invention?  Is it an automatic natural act? Or are these unnecessary questions?

      Andrew____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _
      Be a better friend, newshound, and

    • Brian M. Scott
      Message 189 of 189 , May 5, 2008
        At 3:26:48 AM on Monday, May 5, 2008, fournet.arnaud wrote:

        [...]

        > And you're now saying what I said from the start which you
        > first denied.

        I most certainly am not. I don't know whether you failed to
        understand what I wrote, expressed yourself incredibly badly
        before, or have suddenly seen the light, but what you have
        been saying is very nearly a denial of what I wrote. In any
        case I've no intention of pursuing the matter further.

        Brian