Re: Re[2]: [tied] Re: beyond langauges

  • fournet.arnaud
    Message 1 of 189 , Apr 30, 2008
      From: "Rick McCallister" <gabaroo6958@...>

      >> However, if Eurasiatic is reconstructed, why would
      >> we need
      >> "Macro-Nostratic"?
      >
      > But Eurasiatic is not reconstructed to the
      > satisfaction of most linguists. We have Greenberg's
      > mass com --which includes Ainu, a languages that is
      > clearly not part of that proposed phylum. We don't
      > have a consensus on its subdivisions or even on what
      > Altaic is or isn't. So there's still a lot of work to do.
      =========
      Ainu is related to Uralic, Chinese, etc
      Cf.
      Vogul nom-t "thought"
      Chinese nian1, nian4 "to think, thought"
      Ainu namu "spirit".

      The complete idiocy is to put Indo-European in here,
      in a family made of Asiatic languages.
      So long as a super-family will start with that premice, it's dead-born.

      Arnaud
      ===========

      >> The reasons for Nostratic's not being recognized
      >> have more to do with
      >> prejudice than science, IMHO; this is because of the
      >> core hypothesis.
      >>
      >> ***
      > I disagree. I think most linguists are probably
      > amenable to the idea. I think the diehards like Lyle
      > Campbell and Terence Kauffman are a minority, vocal to
      > be sure. There is a lot of skepticism of Nostratic but
      > I'm sure most linguists have a wait and see attitude
      > much like Larry Trask who believed there was
      > definitely something to Nostratic but he wasn't sure
      > if it could be proven. It will just take a lot of hard
      > work for a long, long time. This will mean adjusting
      > paradigms to suit new data. And if you don't do this
      > you run the risk of hoisting a "Mission Accomplished"
      > banner on the deck of an aircraft carrier before the
      > real war has even begun.

      =======

      There is not even a reasonable perimeter of languages...

      Arnaud

      =========
    • Brian M. Scott
      Message 189 of 189 , May 5, 2008
        At 3:26:48 AM on Monday, May 5, 2008, fournet.arnaud wrote:

        [...]

        > And you're now saying what I said from the start which you
        > first denied.

        I most certainly am not. I don't know whether you failed to
        understand what I wrote, expressed yourself incredibly badly
        before, or have suddenly seen the light, but what you have
        been saying is very nearly a denial of what I wrote. In any
        case I've no intention of pursuing the matter further.

        Brian