[tied] Re: gast

    Message 1 of 27 , Apr 25 12:39 PM
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:

      > On 2008-04-25 19:14, jouppe wrote:
      >
      > > One more remark: If Paleo-Germanic *kansa: would be a borrowing
      > > from Proto Finnic-Saami *kansa the latter would still be in need
      > > of an etymology, because a cluster *-ns- is very unlikely to have
      > > occured in Proto-Uralic and I see no morpheme boundary here
      > > either.
      > > So where would we have an older IE-original for this word?
      >
      > I like Herman Seldeslacht's etymological proposal: *xanso: <
      > *kóN-(s)sa: < *kóm-dH(h1)tah2, the collective of a participial
      > derivative of *kom- + *dHeh1- 'put together, gather'. It makes sense
      > and explains the accent.

      I had a hunch (no pun intended, not consciously, at least) that these
      two entries might be related in some weird way, given their unusual
      construction:

      DEO
      'hente ["fetch"]v., ODa. hentæ, No. hente, No.dial. hemta, henta, Sw.
      hämta, ON heimta "take home, fetch", OE ha:mettan [sic] "to house";
      from Gmc. *haimatjan, deriv. with -te to I. hjem ["home"] with the
      sense "take home"; cf MHG heimsen "take home". - Same word as håndtere

      håndtere v. "treat, use, work with"; MDa. hantere "carry out", No.
      håndtere, Sw. hantera; loan from MLG hante:ren "visit often; trade;
      achive", which like Germ. hantieren "treat, work with" is loaned via
      MDu. hantiern from OFr. hanter "live in; visit often; go back and
      forth" (whence Engl. haunt ...), which really is from Gmc.: OE
      ha:metan [sic] "to house, shelter", same word as hente. - The word in
      Da. and Da. is influnced by hånd ["hand"].'

      *haimat-ja- ?