Re: [tied] Gemination in Celtic

    Message 1 of 302 , Apr 1, 2008
      On 2008-04-01 22:22, Brian M. Scott wrote:

      > <Þursta:n> from OEScand <Þurste:n>, though this is just a bit on the
      > early side for that.

      One could contemplate <Þursta:n> from *Þun(o)rsta:n, with native OE
      syncope and cluster reduction.

      > By the way, does anyone have any ideas about <Muhtsar>? Besides the
      > somewhat desperate expedient of taking <ht> as an error for <th> and
      > making him a pain in the mouth?

      I can't think of anything better than that.

      Piotr
    • dgkilday57
      Message 302 of 302 , Feb 23, 2012
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:

        > W dniu 2012-02-22 22:15, dgkilday57 pisze:
        >
        > > But the acute accent requires a short vowel, so it must be zero-grade.
        >
        > In the reconstructible PIE pattern one normally expects e-grade and root
        > accent in the neuter and zero-grade and final accent in the collective,
        > so the original pattern may have been /*gWéh2-tro-m/ --> *gWáh2tHrom,
        > */gWh2-tré-h2/ --> *gW&2tráh2, levelled out in Greek (which generally
        > does not preserve the accentual contrast), with the accent and the
        > consonants of the original singular and the short vowel of the collective.

        I like your mechanism better than opt. loss of *h2. However (and I may have missed something earlier), I am still puzzled by the lack of Olsen's h1/h2-preaspiration everywhere but in this particular suffix. We do not see it with *h1 in Lat. <-ple:tus>, Skt. <pra:ta'-> 'full', or with *h2 in Skt. <ga:tu's> 'gait, way', Grk. <be:tarmo's> 'dance', <amphisbe:te'o:> 'I stride', which have the same root as above. Proposing a new soundlaw to eliminate one or two otherwise independent suffixes seems rather heavy-handed.

        DGK