Re: [tied] PIE meaning of the Germanic dental preterit

  • Patrick Ryan
    Message 1 of 260 , Feb 29, 2008
      From: "alexandru_mg3" <alexandru_mg3@...>
      To: <cybalist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, February 29, 2008 7:29 PM
      Subject: Re: [tied] PIE meaning of the Germanic dental preterit

      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Ryan" <proto-language@...>
      wrote:

      > Thanks, Piotr.
      >
      > Locative looks like a real possibility to me.
      >
      > Perhaps you can answer something.
      >
      > Would IE *bh&i- result in Lithuanian <bai->?
      >

      > Patrick

      Patrick, "the haplology' to explain the Germanic weak preterite
      (with all his issues "in sg. happened in pl. not happened": like a
      hocus-pocus) is a much much better idea than the 'locative-one'

      ***

      When have I addressed the "weak-preterite" problem?

      When have I addressed the "haplology" problem?

      Why are you mixing this into what _we_ are discussing?

      Piotr's idea to explain *k^red- as a locative of full-grade *k^erd- and
      zero-grade *k^Rd- is an excellent solution to the form.

      You have done nothing to explain it at all that I can see.

      ***

      1. Why you don't ask him directly if k^red-dHeh1 is a noun like *mn.s-
      dHeh1 or not?

      2. Why you don't ask him directly why 'we don't have a locative' in
      *mn.s-dHeh1 too (sic!)

      3. However I cannot imagine that he can say that *bai- in Lithuanian
      can be from from an unexisting bHhi-

      Marius

      ***

      I would not ask him because I know the answer to #1, and question #2 is
      totally irrelevant.

      It really does not matter what his answer to #3 is.

      If *bh&i- can result in Lithuanian <bai->, fine.

      But if it cannot, then reduced grade *bhoi- from *bho:i- will also work.

      Patrick
    • Patrick Ryan
      Message 260 of 260 , Mar 5, 2008