Re: [tied] Re: A few more risque words

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
      Bez- for 'lilac', if the toponym really contains it, may betray Polish influence at least on the folk-etymological level. In these parts, the word "bez" was applied to lilacs about the 18th century. *bUzU- (probably a u-stem originally, as if from *bHug^H-u-, cf. Gen. bzu, bzowina/bzowie 'elder thicket') was the (West and South?) Slavic word for 'elder'. Now for most Poles bez means 'lilac', while 'elder' is qualified as dziki/czarny bez 'wild/black ...'.

      You're perfectly right about the weak points in my reasoning. Expressive voicing is by no means rare in this kind of vocabulary, so Baltic bezd- may well be PIE *pezd- plus a little onomatopoeic irregularity. *pezd- itself has good credentials in the form of Germanic, Latin and Greek reflexes, though of course, being an expressive word, can never be regarded as being absolutely above suspicion.

      Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 9:07 AM
      Subject: [tied] Re: A few more risque words

      As for Baltic roots, you could easily point out some apparent
      stretches in your reasonings yourself (vocalism, all-mighty analogy,
      a lot of pure Baltic derivatives like Lith. bezdalas 'fart' or
      Bezdonis (toponym with a lot of LILACS in there etc.).

      After all, I'm inclined to think that, as it's often in case with
      such semantics, there were was a set of (semi-onomatopoeic) roots
      with that meaning.

      Sergei

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
        Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto (or was it *puto-?). We may attract some pour souls who spend late evenings typing taboo tetragrammata into the Google or AltaVista search box. And if they come a-surfing here, perhaps they will be reformed.

        Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 10:35 PM

        By the way, I'm glad I found out about this list a while ago - what do you think this list looks like to anyone who discovers it during the present discussion about *pezd- etc...
      • Darwin R. Garcia
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 7, 2001
          Right now, it looks less like IndoEuropean-L and more like Etruscan-L. /:-D)