Re: [tied] Re: A few more risque words

    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
      Bez- for 'lilac', if the toponym really contains it, may betray Polish influence at least on the folk-etymological level. In these parts, the word "bez" was applied to lilacs about the 18th century. *bUzU- (probably a u-stem originally, as if from *bHug^H-u-, cf. Gen. bzu, bzowina/bzowie 'elder thicket') was the (West and South?) Slavic word for 'elder'. Now for most Poles bez means 'lilac', while 'elder' is qualified as dziki/czarny bez 'wild/black ...'.

      You're perfectly right about the weak points in my reasoning. Expressive voicing is by no means rare in this kind of vocabulary, so Baltic bezd- may well be PIE *pezd- plus a little onomatopoeic irregularity. *pezd- itself has good credentials in the form of Germanic, Latin and Greek reflexes, though of course, being an expressive word, can never be regarded as being absolutely above suspicion.

      Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 9:07 AM
      Subject: [tied] Re: A few more risque words

      As for Baltic roots, you could easily point out some apparent
      stretches in your reasonings yourself (vocalism, all-mighty analogy,
      a lot of pure Baltic derivatives like Lith. bezdalas 'fart' or
      Bezdonis (toponym with a lot of LILACS in there etc.).

      After all, I'm inclined to think that, as it's often in case with
      such semantics, there were was a set of (semi-onomatopoeic) roots
      with that meaning.

      Sergei

    • Glen Gordon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 3, 2001
        Hakan:
        >Yeah, we're probably among the least religious countries (if any >Swedish
        >politician would invoke god the way American presidents seem >to do every
        >now and then, people would stare at him as if he's gone >completely off his
        >rocker) but we use religious curses. For a >foreigner, all the English
        >curses about making love are a bit weird.

        English curses, weird? Or do you mean the English translations of these
        Swedish curses? Many of the Swedish curses listed here are almost identical
        to English curses I've heard.

        And what's with the American obsession with religion, eh? ... Actually, I
        have to say that it's been creeping into Canadian politics too. It was great
        in the 60s (or was it the 70s? Oh well, let's just say "before I was born")
        when we had Trudeau as prime minister. He was a hip cat. He'd middle-finger
        people in the streets without remorse.

        Nowdays, the "Alliance", based out of the province of Alberta (practically
        overrun by Americans now, the Canadian Bible Belt) is trying to become a
        (gulp!) popular political party in Canada. The scary part is that they
        actually beat out the Liberals headed by Joe Clark, a very respected,
        time-tested, rational man. The Alliance won out despite the ultra-religious,
        exclusionary, homophobic and racist comments (Wanna talk swearwords? I'm
        sure Alliance knows them all). The big thing in the papers about Stockwell
        Day, head of the Alliance, was his avoidance of working on Sundays (What
        would he do as prime minister, a 24-hour job??) and his big kick on
        "family", which was an understood codeword for white, heterosexual,
        fundamentalist Christian family.

        More irony... I was talking to a friend of mine. He's ultimately from
        Beijing and his father actually voted for the Alliance! This is shocking
        considering that one woman from the party had lamented in public just before
        the elections about Chinese students coming into this country and ruining it
        for the rest of us! Excuse me??! But then, perhaps the perceived popularity
        is out of total political confusion, of which there was plenty this time
        'round judging by the ugly television spectacle.

        Boy oh boy, us Canadians have to get our act together before we become a
        [expletive] American political system! Not to say that Americans are evil...
        just generally creepy :P, sacrificing facts and reality for faith rather
        than the opposite, the latter defining a sane individual. I mean, if you're
        going to sacrifice reality, for the love of God or the deity of your choice,
        do it for money, not faith! :)

        Still, Canada would appear to be much like Sweden then, where "God" is
        usually a sort of "curse word", a way to hang yourself in politics due to
        its exclusionary tone. Being that this country prides itself on
        multiculturalism and diversity, comments of any kind that undermine this
        pride are the real Canadian swear words.

        - gLeN

        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 4, 2001
          Homo sum: humani nihil a me alienum puto (or was it *puto-?). We may attract some pour souls who spend late evenings typing taboo tetragrammata into the Google or AltaVista search box. And if they come a-surfing here, perhaps they will be reformed.

          Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 10:35 PM

          By the way, I'm glad I found out about this list a while ago - what do you think this list looks like to anyone who discovers it during the present discussion about *pezd- etc...
        • Darwin R. Garcia
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 7, 2001
            Right now, it looks less like IndoEuropean-L and more like Etruscan-L. /:-D)