Re: [tied] Titans

  • Christopher Gwinn
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2000
      All that I can say about the Titans is that they may have a connection with
      the evil Kauravas, opponents (and cousins) of the Pandavas in the
      Mahabharata (the Titans' tendency towards enormity, like having 100 hands,.
      matching the 100 Kauravas born at once to a single mother). The connection
      may be strengthened in that the Pandavas are, despite being the sons of
      various different gods, are also all a rebirth of Indra, who may be the
      equivalent of the Titans' opponent Zeus (as thunder god, not as celestial
      sovereign)

      -Chris Gwin
    • João Simões Lopes Filho
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
        I disagree:
        1) The ones who had 100 arms are the Hekatongkheires, not the Titans. And
        these giants were helpers of Zeus, not foes
        2) The Titans are nor malign nor giants.
        3) But there can be a relation between Pandavas x Kauravas and Olympic Gods
        x Titans; like Romans x Etrusques, Aesir x Giants; Tuatha de Danaan x
        Fomoire (1st/2nd Function Gods x Man-eating Giants). It's important not
        confuse these with Aesir x Vanir, Romans x Sabines, Danaan x Fir Bolg
        (1st/2nd Function Gods x 3rd Function Gods - ending with a pact).
        > All that I can say about the Titans is that they may have a connection
        with
        > the evil Kauravas, opponents (and cousins) of the Pandavas in the
        > Mahabharata (the Titans' tendency towards enormity, like having 100
        hands,.
        > matching the 100 Kauravas born at once to a single mother). The connection
        > may be strengthened in that the Pandavas are, despite being the sons of
        > various different gods, are also all a rebirth of Indra, who may be the
        > equivalent of the Titans' opponent Zeus (as thunder god, not as celestial
        > sovereign)
        >
        > -Chris Gwin

      • Christopher Gwinn
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
          > I disagree:
          > 1) The ones who had 100 arms are the Hekatongkheires, not the Titans. And
          > these giants were helpers of Zeus, not foes

          Sorry, my mistake, the Hekatongkheires were the Titans guards while in
          Tartaros.

          > 2) The Titans are nor malign nor giants.

          But they are enemies of Zeus and family. Are you sure that they aren't
          giants? I don't see how the ocean god Okeanos and the sun god Hyperion could
          be conceived as anything but gigantic deities.

          > 3) But there can be a relation between Pandavas x Kauravas and Olympic
          Gods
          > x Titans; like Romans x Etrusques, Aesir x Giants; Tuatha de Danaan x
          > Fomoire (1st/2nd Function Gods x Man-eating Giants). It's important not
          > confuse these with Aesir x Vanir, Romans x Sabines, Danaan x Fir Bolg
          > (1st/2nd Function Gods x 3rd Function Gods - ending with a pact).

          Sure - the Aesir-Vanir and Romans-Sabines also has to do with the obtaining
          of women.

          -Chris Gwinn
        • João Simões Lopes Filho
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2000
            > > 2) The Titans are nor malign nor giants.
            >
            > But they are enemies of Zeus and family. Are you sure that they aren't
            > giants? I don't see how the ocean god Okeanos and the sun god Hyperion
            could
            > be conceived as anything but gigantic deities.

            It's a curious point: although Titans were generically foes of Olympian
            Gods, only Iapetos's and Kreios's offspring had strong roles as enemies, and
            gigantic traits. Okeanos's were the Oceanides, Olympians' lovers; Hyperion's
            were astral deities; Koios's were Olympians' allies.