Re: Helios

    Message 1 of 69 , Dec 31 6:26 PM
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "afyangh" <fournet.arnaud@...> wrote:

      > > Personally, I've been puzzled by toponyms in *hal- and places of
      > > salt extraction: Bad Hallein at Salzburg, Halle on the Saale
      > > River.
      > > Torsten
      > ===
      > Interesting,
      > If one accepts the idea that *sal "salt" is from *zah-l "sea"
      > normally *z should be one form of PIE *H2,
      > Then hal from *zahl is an archaism : H2 not lost altogether.

      More likely *sal- > *hal-, as Rick says.

      > What does Saale (River) stem from ?

      I don't know of an official etymology.

      > Itself a variant of *zahl ?
      > Do you a map of salt-extraction places sounding hal/sal ?

      I'm afraid not. Btw I learned somewhere that the -ein < *-unja, which
      is old and rare, possibly not Germanic (Perk-unja > Hercynia,
      Fergunja; wust-unja > Du. woestijn "desert", cf ChSl. pustynia "desert").

      Torsten
    • Torsten
      Message 69 of 69 , Jul 2, 2010

        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Joao S. Lopes" <josimo70@...> wrote: