-leben/-lev/-löv and -ung-

    Message 1 of 59 , Dec 5, 2007
      I've uploaded (folder -leben,-lev,-löv and -ung-) two maps from
      Udolph: Namenkundliche Studien zum Germanenproblem,
      showing the distribution, repectively, of names in -leben,-lev,-löv
      and in -ung-.
      I'd like to point out that in Germania they almost don't overlap, but
      are concentrated in two large lumps opposing each other west of
      Thuringia. Both name types are concentrated west of the river Elbe.
      Further there is a large gap between the -leben names in Thuringia and
      environs and the -lev/-löv names of southern Scandinavia. All this
      fits in nicely with a theory that the -leben/-lev/-löv names belong to
      the languages of invaders from the east, who later gave up their
      territory when Germania became a Roman province up to the Elbe, moving
      to southern Scandinavia to claim new land (many of the non-Christian
      PNs that make up the first element of the -leben names recur in the
      -lev/-löv names, as if the same guy had claimed land twice), and that
      the -ung- names are older, possibly Vasconic/Old European (?, cf
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/cybalist/message/36019
      relevant since the place name suffix *-ing- is homonymous with the
      Germanic verbal noun suffix *-ing- (does in exist in Gothic?) and
      could have been derived similarly.

      Beside many examples of placenames in -ung- with opaque first
      elements, Udolph has also
      Usingen, 8th cent. Osinga, Osungen, Osanga, Oasunge;
      Uhry, 1022 Wurungen, Wurungon, ca. 1150 Uerincge, 1318 Vringe
      Wasungen, 874 Uuasunga
      of which the first element seems to be *was-, *wo:s- "wasteland"
      http://www.angelfire.com/rant/tgpedersen/ws.html
      http://www.angelfire.com/rant/tgpedersen/wH.html
      and the discussion starting at
      http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/cybalist/message/33467

      which I (following Venneman) also suspect of being
      Vasconic/Old European

      Message 59 of 59 , Dec 12, 2007
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "ualarauans" <ualarauans@...> wrote:

        > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Rick McCallister <gabaroo6958@>
        > wrote:
        > >
        > > So, then, is Thuringian a dialect where /t/ did not
        > > change to /c/?
        >
        > AFAIK Thuringian was affected by the second shift. The presented
        > exposee (esp. the link Thuringi – Tervingi) seems therefore
        dubious
        > to me. On the whole I'd agree now with Piotr and others that the
        > phonetically correct form in NHG should be *Düringer < *Þuringôz.
        > No connection with Go. *Tairwiggos [terwingôs].

        Unless *tur- + whatever isn't Germanic, but a loan, pre-Grimm in the
        case of *Þuringo:z, post for terwingo:z.