Re: [tied] Renfrew's theory renamed as Vasco-Caucasian

  • etherman23
    Message 1 of 115 , Oct 5, 2007
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Ryan" <proto-language@...>
      wrote:
      > I put the following proposal to you. An early form of PIE did have the
      > vowels *i and *u. However, when stressed these vowels diphthongized to
      > *ei and *eu. Thus the zero grades represent the original forms. In
      > this light verbal roots in *u and *i are easy to find since the
      > zero-grade represents the actual vocalic structure.
      >

      > ***
      >
      > In the verbal form of *CVC, *V is a stress-accented *é. *CéC is
      the commonest form of verbal root formation in PIE.

      Indeed.

      > Presumably, then, as a verbal root, *CVC should really be notated
      *C'VC.

      Yes.

      > If we assume that *V = *i as well as *e/*o/*ø, since the commonest
      (only) verbal pattern calls for *'V, we should expect **CíC not *CeiC,
      which is better explained as *Cey + root extension.

      My proposal is **'CiC > *'CeiC.

      > Your proposal initially necessitates changing the verbal pattern
      of *C'VC to *CVC(') whenever *V is *i or *u then secondarily erasing
      all traces of this _verbal_ anomaly by emending *CiC(') and *CuC(') to
      *CéiC and *CéuC.

      There's no need to reverse stress like this. Stressed **i > *ei, and
      stressed **u > *eu (possibly through an intermediate stage, stressed
      ***i > **ai > *ei, and sim.). This is somewhat like the Great Vowel
      Shift in English.
    • etherman23
      Message 115 of 115 , Oct 5, 2007