Re: [SPAM] Re: [tied] xY>xy; x>s; etc. (was: Latin m>w, w>m)

  • P&G
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2007
      >Re asthma, online compact OED has asthma
      >ORIGIN Greek, from azein 'breathe hard'.
      >BUT I've also seen it derived from an Arabic word
      >meaning "crisis"

      Asthma is a greek word, meaning shortness of breath. You find it in
      standard authors such as Aeschylus and Plato. It also clearly has a
      structure internal to Greek (private a- prefix, noun-formant -ma), and the
      root is attested in the verb.

      It is inconceivable that its origin is anything but Greek.

      Peter