Re: [tied] Re: *-tro-/*-tlo-

    Message 1 of 91 , Jul 2, 2007
      stlatos pisze:
      > --- Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:
      >
      >> stlatos wrote:
      >>
      >>> Oh? What about *gYonYxWeye+ > *kYaniyi+ > OE
      >> cennan?
      >>
      >> Wrong. OE cennan 'beget, conceive' contains a
      >> different root, *g^enh1-!
      >
      > I'm talking about OE cennan 'make known', ON kenna 'teach, know',
      > OHG bichennan 'know'. You may argue with the possible derivation and
      > sound changes I reconstruct, but I don't believe the root is wrong.

      Ah, but that one's got double -nn- in ON and Goth. (kannjan), so it
      reflects Gmc. *kann-ija-/-i:-, obviously a new analogical causative
      based on the preterito-present *kann- (itself secondary). The other OE
      cennan is from *g^onh1-éje/o- (= Skt. janáyati) > *kan(i)ja- > WGmc.
      *kannja-.

      Piotr
    • stlatos
      Message 91 of 91 , Sep 5, 2007
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos" <stlatos@...> wrote:

        > In some languages CW can create an s() also; Celtic has the most of
        > these and similar changes.

        To expand on this; a dental > +round between u_w or u_m in several
        IE languages. Later a C is added to break up CW by w/m (sim. to how
        no KWw- or Pw- were allowed). The conditions vary among IE languages.
        Germanic apparently had opt. dWh s C > dWh C or s C:

        *bhudmo+ ..... *xYrudhmo+
        *bhudWmo+ .... *rudWhmo+
        *bhudWsmo+ ... *rudWhsmo+
        *bhudWsmo+ ... *rudWhmo+ or *rusmo+
        *bhutsmo+ ... *rudhmo+ or *rusmo+
        *buTsmo+ .... *rudmo+ or *rusmo+
        *buTmo+ .... *rudmo+ or *rusmo+
        *buTma+ .... *rudma+ or *rusma+

        *buTma+ > *boTm+ > bottom
        *buTma+ > *boDm+ > OHG bodam

        *rudma+ > *rotm+ > OHG rotamo 'redness'
        *rusma+ > *rozm+ > OHG rosamo 'redness'

        In Baltic the analogical color-word *xYr(o)udhwo+ 'reddish' >
        *xYr(o)udWhswo+ > rusvas, rausvas.

        In Celtic *trudmo+ > *trudWmo+ > *trudWsmo+ > *trutsmo+ > *truzmo+ >
        *trummo+ > OIr tromm 'heavy'; *mudmi:x 'wetnurse' > *mudWmi+a: >
        mumme. This differs from dm in other env. like *vr,xdm+ > *vr,dmo+ >
        *wridmo+ > *wredma+ > fre:m 'root'.