Re: [tied] tt/st/ss

    Message 1 of 121 , Jun 4, 2007
      On 2007-06-03 08:27, Sean Whalen wrote:

      > Does anyone know how he explains dehí, dhatté,
      > dhi:ks.ate, hyrst, wrist, caestus, come:stus, etc.?
      > Not to mention that in Iranian the same changes occur
      > after x,>0, so dentals that couldn't be affricates in
      > PIE even by this theory still cause the same changes
      > as in original clusters.

      The <dHatté> type has been discussed by Schindler. {dHad-} consistently
      functions as the allomorph of {dadH-} before obstruents. On the other
      hand, {dugH-} + -té gives <dugdHé>. But inconsistencies of this type may
      be of relatively recent origin. We have archaising Rigvedic forms like
      <aduks.at> 'has milked' or <bubutsati> 'wants to be awake' beside
      innovated <adHuks.at>, <bubHutsati>, with analogical "aspiration
      throwback". The archaic type survives only partly in the oldest layers
      of Vedic.

      In reduplicated forms (and in second members of compounds) the loss (or
      non-vocalisation) of a non-initial laryngeal goes back to PIE, so
      there's no reason why we shouldn't expect affricates in forms like
      *dHe-dH(h1)-t- (Av. dazd-).

      <dehí> must be due to dissimilation in the sequence *dHe-d[z]H-dH- >
      IIr. *d(H)azdHí, with too many voiced aspirated dentals (Hoffmann's
      explanation).

      Piotr
    • stlatos
      Message 121 of 121 , Dec 7, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:

        > On 2007-07-11 22:23, tgpedersen wrote:

        > > = Gothic -ubni-/-ufni?

        > They are strong feminine (*-jo:) or neuter (*-ja-) stems in Gmc., but of
        > course derived from *-men- (*-mn-ja/o:-). Cf. Goth fastubni (n.) : OSax.
        > fastunnia (f.) : OE fæsten (n.).
        >
        > Piotr

        What are the sound changes you consider most likely for -mn- if PGmc * bariyumnya+ / -fn- = womb/haven/port > Fabiranum \ Fabrianum ; Bremen ?

        Something like:

        bariyumnya+
        bariyumna+ (dis.)
        bariyumna+ bariyuBna+
        bariyumna+ bariyuBna+ bariyußna+
        bariyumna+ bariyuBna+ bariyußna+ bariyuFna+
        bariyïmna+
        bariyëmna+
        bariyëmna+ bariyamna+
        bariymna+ bariyamna+
        barimna+ bariyamna+

        barimna+
        bramina+

        bariyaFna+
        Fabriyana+

        (note: this isn't a response to the last time -mn- in PGmc was discussed here, but I couldn't find anything else from later.)