Re: On the origin of the Etruscans

    Message 1 of 33 , Apr 2, 2007
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "ehlsmith" <ehlsmith@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen" <tgpedersen@> wrote:
      > > This doesn't look good for Maeonian being of the Etruscan family, as
      > > Beekes wants it to be. ..............
      >
      > Beekes does not claim Maeonian belonged to the Etruscan family, he
      > claims that Etruscan was a remnant language located in the same area
      > of Anatolia as was Maeonian(later Lydian)before being displaced by
      > Phrygian invasions.

      Come to think of it, that would imply that in pre-classical times the
      IE Lydians and proto-Etruscan Maeonians lived in the same state, Old
      Maeonia, and in classical times, after the Etruscans left, they lived
      in separate states, Lydia and Maeonia. That doesn't add up. The
      problem is that Beekes doesn't place the Urheimat of the Lydians as he
      does for that of the Etruscans/Maeonians. A scenario where Lydia(ns)
      expanded from the south into the Dardanelles area would provide that.

      Message 33 of 33 , May 2, 2007
        > But
        > https://ep.eur.nl/bitstream/1765/7686/1/Woudhuizen+bw.pdf
        > (beware, takes long time to load while seemingly nothing happening)
        > uses archaeological evidence to link Proto-Villanovan and Villanovan
        > (try searching for those terms) to the Urnfield culture of (oh
        > horror!) Thuringia and Southern Scandinavia, the same place where
        > all these names in -ste- also appears, which Kuhn mentions
        > (he misses Andst near Seest near Kolding in southern Jutland,
        > perhaps Gesten, if his theory is true that -sten, -steen, -stein
        > names are reinterpreted -st names; interesting for me, I always
        > wondered what Thor needed that stone for, and there is an old side
        > form Tosti occurring also in -thorp placenames (Carolingian times),
        > but not in -lev (-löv, -leben) placenames (early first millenium)).
        > Woodhuizen has Adrastos (Phrygian(?), Linear B), Orestes (descendant
        > of Pelops, an Anatolian), realm of Acestes, and Segesta (where the
        > population consists of kinsmen from Troy), Segestazie (from that
        > town, cf. Etruscan Karthazie "of the Carthaginians"), Aulestis.

        BTW Swedish PN Sixten would then be an exact cognate of Segestes.