*swei- ‘to bend, turn’

  • Abdullah Konushevci
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
      *swei- `to bend, turn'. Alb lëviz `to move', lëvizje `movement',
      attested in "Buzuku" with metathetic form vëliz, from prefexid and
      suffixed extended form *li-sweid-yo. To Orel this verb is related to
      luaj `to play' from which it is derived with the unusual suffix –iz <
      PAlb *-idja (AED, pp. 226). Prefix lë- is attested in: lë-byr `to veil
      the eyes with a hazy film', lë-fyt `neck, spout', lë-bardh `to give
      white appearance', li-vore `cortex, peel, skin', lë-kund `to shake'
      etc. *sw- > v-, if followed by unstressed vowel. Cognates: Lithuanian
      sviesti `to aim, cast', Cymric chwim `movement', Old English
      swift `swift, quick' < *swip-. (Pokorny swe:(i)- 1041.)

      Konushevci
    • alexandru_mg3
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2007
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Abdullah Konushevci"
        <akonushevci@...> wrote:
        > etc. *sw- > v-, if followed by unstressed vowel.
        > Konushevci

        Just a simple question, regarding 'this rule':
        in vjeh&rr the vowel 'after v' is unstressed or stressed?

        Marius

        P.S. : On my side, I know that in PAlb(see: vjeh&rr), as in Dacian
        (see:Diegis)& as in PRomanian(see:fierbe) => je is from a ACCENTED e