excalibur etymology

  • Cuadrado
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2007
      Hello,
      I come back on my first message

      I said that Excalibur come from latin Word Scalepere (to cut) <
      Scalpera < Excalibur
      But now i just find roots « Skal(b) » with connections in Neo-Celtic
      * Brittonic :
      Breton Skolp (shaving/thatch/scrap)
      Welsh Ysglop (the same)
      * Gaelic :
      Irish Scolb (splinter/fragment)
      Manx Scolb (Thin slice)

      With another IE roots , there are :
      Germanic = Skelf (crack/slit) and Skalio (To divide)
      Slave = Serbo-Croate Skala (Fraction)
      Albanais Shkallëzoj (To divide)

      I think Excalibur etymolgy is next from Skal(b) roots < Skalbera =
      the split sword
      anb it's very hard to connect Welsh caledfoulc'h/Caledfwch or Irish
      Caladbolg with this