Re: [tied] Fw: Subjunctive

  • Patrick Ryan
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 31, 2006

      Sent: Sunday, December 31, 2006 9:50 PM
      Subject: Re: [tied] Fw: Subjunctive

      On 2006-12-31 17:26, Patrick Ryan wrote:

      > Because 1 comes before 2; simple before complex. It is the universe
      > we live in. Sorry about that.

      With this logic, the earliest humans must have been one-legged and
      one-eyed. Of course there was a time when our ancestors were
      unicellular, but that was a long time before they evolved into anything
      humanlike. I see nothing absurd in the hypothesis that reduplicated
      structures of the type *bHe-bHor- had existed well before they happened
      to acquire a resultative ("perfect") significance; in other words --
      that the perfect has been characterized by reduplication ever since it
      arose as a grammatical category.

      Piotr

      ***
      I would be much more inclined to see this reduplication as an expression of the perfective aspect.

      Patrick

      ***