Re: Diphthong Distributions

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 5, 2006
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Jens Elmegård Rasmussen <elme@...> wrote:

      > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "tgpedersen" <tgpedersen@> wrote:
      >
      > > > I believe the received wisdom is that PIE *dh, *d, *t > Hittite
      > t.
      > > > This doesn't look like that at all.
      >
      > The received wisdom is indeed that, in initial position. Internally,
      > we have *d/dh > -t-, and *t > -tt- by Sturtevant's law. There are of
      > course also the special rules that *ti > zi, while *dhi > ti, and
      > apparently *di > si (Sius < *diews), which must have been separated
      > before the merger.
      >
      > When we find a statistic preponderance of ti-/te- and da- (as in
      > tehhi, daitti, da:i), it is at least in part a matter of pure
      > graphics. The signs TA and DA are homophonous in Hittite, but DA and
      > TI are each one wedge simpler than TA and TI, and TE is very much
      > simpler than DÉ (DE is not used by the Hittites). Therefore,
      > the "default" way of writing /ta/, /te/ and /ti/ in Hittite is by
      > the signs DA, TE and TI (but see below).

      If the Hittites chose /da/ over /ta/ purely for writing convenience,
      why did they write /ta/ not /da/ for the pret. 2sg,3sg suffix?
      How does one explain da-a-is^-ta with both /da/ and /ta/?

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 9, 2006
        > Good point. Still, the imperative ends in -du more often than -tu,
        > even after -s-, and <tu> is a much more complicated sign than <du>,
        > so complexity seems to be a factor.

        It's impv 3sg -d/tu(presumably), 3pl -andu. Assuming 3sg -d/tu
        varied with the voicedness of the auslaut of the preceding
        root, 3pl would be consistently -andu with a /d/. Since DU would
        be in majority over a competing TU, it would be chosen to represent
        the meaning 'imperative'. Call it an etymological spelling, if you
        like. Cf. that ZI occurs in both 3sg and 3pl.