Re: o-grade thoughts

    Message 1 of 108 , Sep 4, 2006

      > These are all roots derived from different earlier forms:
      >
      > *bha:-, 'shine', from *bha?-
      >
      > *bha:-, 'speak (loudly)', from *bhaH-
      >
      > *bhei(6)-, 'beat', from *bho-y-?-
      and *bhen "schlagen, verwunden"

      > *bho:-, 'roast (on a stick)', from *bho?-
      Pokorny *bhe:-, *bho:- "wärmen, rösten"
      and *bhok- "flammen, brennen" -> Latin focus and ->
      (TP) Nordwestblock in German Baake, in English beacon
      Now if I coukld get *bhu:- "be" etc into this, that would be nice.

      > *bho:i-, 'be afraid (perspire/feel hot from fear)', from *bho?-y-

      More likely "X is afraid" from an impersonal *bho:i "there is (was)
      an appearance to X" with an accusative, cf. the older (eg. Old
      Danish) it dreamt me (that ...)"

      I think the resyllabification caused by the prefix PPIE *a-
      (but not by reduplication!) in its turn caused a consonant
      alternation in occlusives: unvoiced unaspirated vs voiced
      aspirated; this was regularised in most roots,but cf this
      (B = the PPE predecessor of p/bh, whichever it was)
      PPIE
      *a-Baram
      *a-Baras
      *a-Barat
      *Ba-BaramV
      *Ba-BaratV
      *Ba-Barant

      (resyllabification)
      PPIE
      *aB-aram
      *aB-aras
      *aB-arat
      *Ba-BaramV
      *Ba-BaratV
      *Ba-Barant

      (occlusive alternation and ablaut)
      *iporam
      *ipors
      *iport
      *bhebhromV
      *bhebhretV
      *bhebhront

      from which is abstracted either
      the root *por- "transport once"
      or
      the roor *bher- "transport continually"

      There are no verbal roots *per- or *bhor- meaning "transport"

      Message 108 of 108 , Sep 14, 2006
        further from the same text:
        "
        It is now generally accepted that the Proto-Semitic aspectual system
        is to be reconstructed to resemble that found in Akkadian. This system
        contains two prefixal forms, one *ya-prus 'he separated' (perfective),
        and another, *ya-paras 'he is separating' (imperfective). The third
        prefix conjugation exists only in Akkadian as the perfect form
        i-p-t-aras 'he has separated'. Its Proto-Semitic status has been
        proposed by Voigt (1987) on the basis of further evidence from Berber
        and Bedawye (North Cushitic). Of fundamental importance for the later
        developments in Semitic is the ambivalence of the reconstructed
        'middle-perfect' form *ya-p-t-aras (intransitive *ya-q-t-arVb 'he is
        close' and 'he got close') between the perfect and the mediopassive
        perfective (cf. Bubenik 2003).
        "

        cf
        http://www.dabis.at/Anwender.htm/Alscher/afroasia.htm