Re: o-grade thoughts

    Message 1 of 108 , Aug 31, 2006
      > What I imagine, very sketchily, is an early situation with regard to
      > verb stems something like this:
      >
      > PPIE *CaC- -> PIE *CeC-, normal neutral stem
      > PPIE *a-CaC- -> PIE *iCoC- -> *CoC-,
      > indicating singularity of action
      > PPIE *Ca-CaC -> PIE *CeCC-,
      > indicating plurality of action, ie multiple subjects, repetition
      > (and similarly with root vowels i and u, obviously)

      And I also believe that these verbal stems of the hi-conjugation
      were nominal in nature. Cf. the words of the "language of bird
      names".

      Now watch me do tricks with my new nominal prefix:

      PPIE *pad- -> PIE *ped-
      PPIE *a-pad- -> *i-pod- -> PIE *pod-

      Nice, huh? I get this free of charge by positing the prefix.
      This ablaut relation is particularly hard to crack, since
      there is normally not any surroundings to the root to "blame"
      for the ablaut. The attempts I've seen to derive it from
      different cases have not been convincing.

      It would be nice to observe that the a- prefix means "singular"
      or "piece of" in the language of bird names. In fact, it's the
      other way round. Back to the drawing board.

      Message 108 of 108 , Sep 14, 2006
        further from the same text:
        "
        It is now generally accepted that the Proto-Semitic aspectual system
        is to be reconstructed to resemble that found in Akkadian. This system
        contains two prefixal forms, one *ya-prus 'he separated' (perfective),
        and another, *ya-paras 'he is separating' (imperfective). The third
        prefix conjugation exists only in Akkadian as the perfect form
        i-p-t-aras 'he has separated'. Its Proto-Semitic status has been
        proposed by Voigt (1987) on the basis of further evidence from Berber
        and Bedawye (North Cushitic). Of fundamental importance for the later
        developments in Semitic is the ambivalence of the reconstructed
        'middle-perfect' form *ya-p-t-aras (intransitive *ya-q-t-arVb 'he is
        close' and 'he got close') between the perfect and the mediopassive
        perfective (cf. Bubenik 2003).
        "

        cf
        http://www.dabis.at/Anwender.htm/Alscher/afroasia.htm