New Internet resource on the Aryan Migration Theory Debate

  • Francesco Brighenti
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2006
      Dear List,

      This post is to announce the creation of a new directory of Internet
      links named "Selected Internet Resources on the Aryan Migration
      Theory (AMT) Debate (e-papers, e-books and Web pages)". The URL is:

      http://www.eastwestcultural.org/public/amt/amt-internet.php

      or, in tinyurl format:

      http://tinyurl.com/mvw4a

      The web directory is divided into several sections, whose titles are
      the following:

      Aryan Migration Theory (AMT) vs. Out-of-India Theory (OIT)
      Archaeology of the Harappan (Indus Valley) Civilization
      Bactria-Margiana Archaeological Complex (BMAC)
      Writing & literacy in Indus civilization
      Linguistic prehistory of India
      Astronomy and the dating of the Vedas
      Horses, chariots and Vedic Indians
      Sarasvati River
      Science, mathematics and iron technology in ancient India
      Afro-Dravidian connections
      Austro-Asiatic connections
      Genetics & prehistoric migrations of the Indian sub-continent
      Sunken cities off the Indian coasts?

      Here is the introductory note to my web directory written by Dr.
      Dean Anderson, on whose East West Cultural Institute website the
      resource in question is kindly loaded:

      "It should be pointed out that, given the relative ease with which
      one can post information on the internet, there is often wide
      diversity in the accuracy of the information presented. The AMT
      Debate is a highly technical subject that involves specialized
      research from many disciplines. Yet for many people it is also
      emotionally charged with strong political, nationalist and religious
      overtones. In order to try to accurately portray the many
      perspectives on this issue, Dr. Brighenti has chosen to present,
      free of editorial comment, this subset of the vast resources on this
      subject available on the internet. It is up to the reader to judge
      for themselves the reliability of the opinions of the various
      writers."

      In his turn, Dr. Anderson has compiled another webpage
      named "Selected Books on the Aryan Migration Theory (AMT) Debate",
      with a list of links to the most relevant books relating to the
      subject. The URL is:

      http://www.eastwestcultural.org/public/amt/amt-books.php

      or, in tinyurl format:

      http://tinyurl.com/f58v8

      Dr. Anderson's resource and mine complement each other inasmuch as
      they provide a wealth of research references useful to those
      concerned with the AMT vs. OIT debate .The following is Dr.
      Anderson's introductory note to his own resource:

      "This section does not discuss the political aspect of the AMT
      Debate. Although the political aspect is admittedly important,
      particularly regarding the politics of identity, it is, in the final
      analysis, a modern debate. The modern political use to which the AMT
      has been, and is being put, is ultimately a different topic than the
      investigation of the ancient origins of the Indo-Europeans. Indo-
      European and Indo-Aryan origins should be determined using only
      objective methodologies such as archaeology and linguistics and such
      research should be free from any modern political pressures."

      To prevent some possible objections to my choice of lumping together
      so many authors of different scholarly standard in one webpage, I
      want to clarify that my directory of links is meant to serve as a
      collection of Internet materials mirroring the `intellectual'
      debate -- I would not at all define it a `scientific' or `scholarly'
      one so far as positions clearly inspired by political-cum-religious
      propaganda are concerned -- on ethnogenesis in pre- and proto-
      historic South Asia. It goes without saying that my including in the
      webpage the online materials authored by the most active and
      notorious proponents of the so-called `Vedic Harappa' / Out-of-India
      theories does not imply that I consider them as serious
      intellectuals as the professional scholars who have opposed and
      denounced their ideas for years now, or that I want to stick them in
      my web directory with the latter on an equal plane. I am fully aware
      that most of the `Vedic Harappa' / Out-of-India protagonists do not
      belong to accredited universities (at least not in the capacity in
      which they are acting when participating in the AIT vs. OIT debate),
      and that the views they propagate are strongly supported by Hindutva
      organizations in India and overseas.

      My directory of links, intentionally free of editorial comment, aims
      at representing faithfully the views held by the discussants on the
      Internet `battlefield', not those discussed in academic debates.

      List members are kindly invited to point out to me off-list any
      relevant links I may have overlooked so that I can incorporate them
      in my resource.

      Thanks and best regards,
      Francesco Brighenti