[tied] Re: Daz^bog Etymology

    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
      On 2006-08-04 00:32, Joao S. Lopes wrote:

      > Reduced form of *h1wesu- would be *h1usu-, wouldn't it?

      The fundamental vocalism of this adjective is long, *h1wé:su-, and
      *h1wésu- is already the weak counterpart thereof. Any further reduction
      is only possible in some special circumstances and need not be fully
      regular. The full form of a morpheme may easily shrink beyond ordinary
      ablaut reduction in the formation of compounds (many examples have been
      discussed on this list); such extra shrinkage may also result in the
      simplification of consonant clusters (cf. Gk. déspoina < *dems potnih2
      or even ultimately something like *demh2-s pot-h1-nt-ih2), so
      compositional reduction like *h1wesu- > *h1(e)su- > *(h1)su- is hardly
      odd.

      Piotr
    • Andrew Jarrette
      Message 2 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006
        On 2006-08-03 16:29, Joao S. Lopes wrote:

        > Could Greek eu- good, be a merging of *h1esu- and *h1we:su- ?

        Or, to be more precise, *h1sú- and *h1wésu-. It could, though there
        are no unambiguous traces of the expected digamma. In a few words
        Greek seems to have a reflex of laryngeal-less *su- (the
        simplification probably took place already in PIE before a heavy
        syllable). My personal suspicion is that PIE *h1sú- represents an
        irregular compositional reduction (the "weak form") of *h1wé(:)su-, so
        the two roots are ultimately the same.

        Piotr
        ____________________
        Any idea what *dus- might be a reduction of?
        Andrew

      • stlatos
        Message 3 of 11 , Aug 4, 2006

          On 2006-08-03 02:39, Joao S. Lopes wrote:

          > > Which is the current analysis of vasu-?
          >
          > *h1wé:su (*h1wésw-) 'good'.

          I'd say that the pair * (wàT- / waTz,ú- "be / good")
          became PIE *wèf- / wets,ú- with an analogical *wefs,ú-
          formed as an alternative. Then sound changes created
          *wefú-.

          PIE

          wèf- be (located)
          wefú- good