Re: [tied] Atri, the Devourer

    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
      I suspect it's simply derived from attR < *ed-t(o)r- 'eater'; atri- < *attri- < *ed-tr-i- would be the corresponding adjective, with the geminate simplified before another consonant.

      Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 3:59 AM
      Subject: [tied] Atri, the Devourer

      All books mention the name of the Indian rshi ATRI as meaning "Devourer". What's its root?
      Can be the name ATRI  related to *ATHR- "fire" ?
    • João Simões Lopes Filho
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 31, 2000
        That's what I thought. But it's strange atr- instead of attr-.

        Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2000 3:59 AM

        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
          Not so much "instead of" as "beside". As a matter of fact, I've found both Atri and Attri listed as Shiva's epithets, both glossed as "Devourer". My idea is that attr- would tend to reduce to atr- except when there is strong analogic pressure to preserve or restore the geminate, as in attri:, the feminine counterpart of attR.

          Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 12:15 AM

          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 1, 2000
            OK, I think Atri may represent some kind of ancient god, maybe a "Fire-Elder", then "Devourer" (not the Trickster Fire-God, messenger of gods, Loki-Prometheus-Agni). Maybe he's like the Norse Fire Giant Logi (a doublet of Loki?). As I said before I'm working with a hypothesis the PIE first generation of gods was 7 "Elders", including Sky-Father (*Dyeus P@ter). I'm trying to compare the 7 Rshis with another IE deities, but until know is very difficult and complex, because there are many different lists of Rshis or Prajapatis.
            The other ones are:
            Pulaha (seer of asuras)
            Pulastya (father of Kubera & Ravana)
            Angiras - father of Brihaspati  (seer of gods)
            Kratu
            Vasis.t.a (owner of plenty cow, Surabhi)
            I'm trying to discover the concept of these 7 IE Elders: Pleiades? Ursa Major? Seven Planets?

            Sent: Wednesday, November 01, 2000 12:15 AM

            That's what I thought. But it's strange atr- instead of attr-.