Re: [tied] Re: PIE genitive plural *-o:m, a possible analysis (*wL'kWo-s)

  • Patrick Ryan
    Message 1 of 5 , May 4 9:57 AM

      Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 12:34 AM
      Subject: Re: [tied] Re: PIE genitive plural *-o:m, a possible analysis (*wL'kWo-s)

      On 2006-05-04 06:22, Patrick Ryan wrote:

      >     1. I know of no justification for reconstructing *H3 as the initial.
      >     While I admit the probability of an initial 'laryngeal', my choice
      >     would be *H2.

      Gk. orego: 'stretch out, reach' (= Lat. rego:), orektos (= Lat. re:ctus,
      OPers. ra:sta-, PGmc. *rexta-) show the value of the laryngeal. The
      development of the 'royal' semantics of the root is illustrated by the
      Latin meanings of <rego:> -- (1) 'keep straight, lead straight'; (2)
      'guide, lead, direct'; (3) 'set right, correct'; (4) 'control, rule,
      govern'.

      Piotr

      ***
      Patrick:

      Could you spell out in detail your reasoning for considering the initial o- the result of a 'laryngeal' as opposed to the explanation offered by Pokorny: "prefix"?

      ***

      Message 2 of 5 , May 4 10:23 AM
        On 2006-05-04 18:57, Patrick Ryan wrote:

        > Could you spell out in detail your reasoning for considering the
        > initial o- the result of a 'laryngeal' as opposed to the explanation
        > offered by Pokorny: "prefix"?

        Pokorny's reconstruction is non-laryngeal, so what else could he say?
        The fact that we don't see this "prefix" anywhere except in Greek (and
        it's precisely in Greek that we would expect to see a pre-liquid
        laryngeal) militates against this explanation.

        Piotr
      • Patrick Ryan
        Message 3 of 5 , May 4 11:17 AM
           ***
          Patrick:

          I thought it might be helpful to delineate my assumptions concisely.

          1. The earliest prevalent PIE root-form was *CACA, where *A is the Ablaut-vowel, which can appear as *é/*o/*Ø.

          2. The singular/punctual is expressed by penultimate stress-accentuation: *CÁCA > *CéCA.

          3. The earliest expression of stress-unaccented *A was *Ø: *CéCØ.

          4. The plural/durative is expressed by ultimate stress-accentuation: *CACÁ
          > *CØCé.

              a. Any *e is the result of present or former stress-accented *A.

          5. The _next_ earliest expression of stress-_de_-accented *é was *o; *CéCØ with ultimate stress-accentuation becomes *CoCé.

              a. The origin of *o may have originally been purely epenthetic.

          6. In the _last_ earliest stage, stress-accentuation shifts do not occasion deletion or quality change of vowels.

          ***