Re: [tied] PIE Word Formation Q&A (1)

  • Mate Kapović
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 31, 2006
      On Pet, ožujak 31, 2006 4:35 pm, Piotr Gasiorowski reče:
      > On 2006-03-31 16:21, Mate Kapović wrote:
      >
      >> What do you think about a theory that the feminine *-ih2 is identical
      >> originally with Latin/Celtic/etc. genitives in -i:?
      >
      > It's difficult to give an opinion without knowing the specifics. How
      > would you connect the two functionally?

      A typical 'chauvinistic' (or patriarchal) view that the female is
      something that belongs to the male. The 'genitive' in -i: would thus
      originally be a possessive, and *wlkWih2 would be 'wolf's' > 'she-wolf'.
      The claim would be that *-ih2 was an old possessive suffix which than
      evolved into a feminine suffix (because of the mix up with the final *-h2
      in *gWenh2 and with the interpretation of *-eh2 as feminine rather than
      collective) and in some languages into a sort-of-a-genitive.

      Mate
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 2, 2006
        On 2006-03-31 22:50, Sean Whalen wrote:

        > As I said, Sihler's explanation is different from
        > mine, but there's nothing arbitrary about this
        > derivation. It's to explain why a syllable most
        > evidence shows to be * wlh2 shows up as if from * h2ul
        > in Hittite (according to most; I think hu represents
        > xW or GW here).

        Most evidence is indecisive either way, since initial *h2w- and *w-
        merge almost everywhere. Greek can't be used as evidence if it's the
        Greek development we want to establish. There remains Anatolian, where
        both <hulana-> and <hulija-> point to a root with initial *h2. If other,
        independent data allow us to account for the absence of a prothetic
        vowel in Greek, metathesis is simply unnecessary.