Re: PIE Root for English 'to kiss'

  • Daniel J. Milton
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2006
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "alexandru_mg3" <alexandru_mg3@...>
      wrote:

      > Hello All,
      >
      > Please help me with a right PIE reconstruction for German
      > k�ssen 'to kiss' from where English 'to kiss' also derived.
      >
      > The German k�ssen could be from a PIE *gWuhs- (PIE form that can
      > have a 'full grade' -> *gWeuHs-) see below the rules:
      >
      > PIE to Proto Germanic:
      > -----------------------
      > *p > f
      > *b > p
      > *bH > b
      > *t > T
      > *d > t
      > *dH > d
      > *k > x
      > *g > k
      > *gH > g
      > *kW > xw
      > *gW > kw -------=> PIE *gW(e)uhs- > Germ. k�ssen <-> Eng. to kiss
      > *gHW > gw, w, g
      >

      > ... but I cannot arrive to match next the Greek kuneo 'to kiss'
      > (usually proposed as cognate) that seems to reflect a PIE *kWuhs-
      > (PIE *kW/u is reduced in Greek to k/u) but a PIE *gW/u will give
      > Greek *g/u (in a similar way)
      >
      > PIE to Greek (Rules):
      > *kW/u > k/u -----------------=> Grk. kuneo
      > *gW/u > g/u
      > *gHW > kh
      >
      > Thanks in advance for an explanation here (for sure is something
      > that I ignore),
      > Marius
      Not sure if this an answer to your question, but Buck in his
      Synonyms derives the Germanic and Greek words you cite from "an
      expressive syllable 'ku' or 'kus'. Gmc. forms resisting the sound
      shift by reason of the expressive character, or influenced by the
      group Goth. 'kiusan', Gk. 'geuo', etc. "try, taste", or from a
      parallel 'gu', 'gus'?".
      Dan