Re: [tied] Digest Number 2778

  • Daniel Koechlin
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
      On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 09:37 +0000, mkelkar2003 wrote:
      > HATING HINDUS IN A `SCHOLARLY' WAY

      Are yaar ! Ye kya hai ? Do you really think that European scholars hate
      Hindus (followers of the Hindu religion) ?
      What has religion got to do with science ?
      Do you believe that the Ramayana and the other Hindu epics are factually
      true ? Do you believe that warriors on chariots lived in India over 10
      000 years ago ? Do you believe that Sanskrit (or the Vedic Languages)
      was the first language to be spoken by man ?
      I trust you do not hold these views, for they have more to do with
      religious fundamentalism than with scientific thinking.

      Daniel Koechlin
    • mkelkar2003
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2006
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Daniel Koechlin <d.koechlin@w...> wrote:

        > On Wed, 2006-02-01 at 09:37 +0000, mkelkar2003 wrote:
        > > HATING HINDUS IN A `SCHOLARLY' WAY
        >
        > Are yaar ! Ye kya hai ? Do you really think that European scholars hate
        > Hindus (followers of the Hindu religion) ?

        That is the title of the Agarwal (2006) article. I just reproduced
        the portions related to horses and chariots.

        > What has religion got to do with science ?

        > Do you believe that the Ramayana and the other Hindu epics are
        factually true ?

        Yes.

        Do you believe that warriors on chariots lived in India over 10
        > 000 years ago ?

        Yes. Pleople lived there. And they surely fought possibly with
        chariots or on foot. Chariots can have solid wheels and they could be
        pulled by dogs, bulls, onager and yes the central asian horse.

        Do you believe that Sanskrit (or the Vedic Languages)
        > was the first language to be spoken by man ?

        No.

        > I trust you do not hold these views, for they have more to do with
        > religious fundamentalism than with scientific thinking.
        >
        > Daniel Koechlin

        I hold 2 of the above 3. They do not make me a religious fundamentalist.

        M. kelkar

      • alexandru_mg3
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 2, 2006
          >I trust you do not hold these views, for they have more to do with
          >religious fundamentalism than with scientific thinking.

          >Daniel Koechlin

          Daniel, I think that you arrive too quickly to acuse somebody
          of 'fundamentalism'.

          For example, I think that Romanian (I'm Romanian) inherited
          its 'Substratum' from the Dacian Language.

          Am I, a fundamentalist, too? Do you will ask me first what arguments
          I could have to sustain my afirmation above?

          Even, I think also (at least: for instance): that Indo-Aryans
          arrived in today India around 2500-2200 BCE, from a Nord-West
          direction, I will not accuse Mr. Kelkar in any way if he will not
          share the same opinion with me.

          Your arguments will speak by themselves (so please post them here if
          you have some), but your power of argumentation will not increase
          in anyway (in contrary), if you put some 'adjectives' on 'the head'
          of Mr. Kelkar here...

          Marius