Re: [tied] Must sound change be linguistically motivated?

  • Patrick Ryan
    Message 1 of 37 , Dec 31, 2005
      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "mkelkar2003" <smykelkar@...>
      To: <cybalist@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, December 31, 2005 3:56 PM
      Subject: [tied] Must sound change be linguistically motivated?

      > Thanks to P. Manansala for the Abstract.
      >
      > M. Kelkar
      >

      > Must sound change be linguistically motivated?
      >
      > Author: Blust, Robert A.1
      >
      > Source: Diachronica, Volume 22, Number 2, 2005, pp. 219-269(51)
      >
      > Publisher: John Benjamins Publishing Company
      >
      > Abstract:
      >
      > A number of well-documented sound changes in Austronesian languages do
      > not appear to be either phonetically or phonologically motivated.
      > Although it is possible that some of these changes involved
      > intermediate steps for which we have no direct documentation, the
      > assumption that this was always the case appears arbitrary, and is in
      > violation of Occam's Razor. These data thus raise the question whether
      > sound change must be phonetically motivated, as assumed by the
      > Neogrammarians, or even linguistically motivated, as assumed by
      > virtually all working historical linguists.

      ***
      Patrick:

      In the past, I innocently suggested that a part of the explanation might lie
      in actual physical changes in the architecture of the mouth, and was accused
      of 'racism', which is an easy out for a difficult question.

      ***
      Message 37 of 37 , Jan 5, 2006
        the "tapping" or "flapping" of intervocalic /t/ and /d/
        > in North American and Australian Englishes)
        and in Danish (which makes me feel at home in American English). Or
        rather, intervocalic -t- > voiceless -d- > flapped -d-.