Re: [tied] Re: Slavic palatalistions: why /c^/, /c/?

  • Miguel Carrasquer
    Message 1 of 51 , Nov 2, 2005
      On Wed, 02 Nov 2005 09:38:41 +0000, tgpedersen
      <tgpedersen@...> wrote:

      >--- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Miguel Carrasquer <mcv@w...> wrote:
      >>
      >> On Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:55:13 +0000, tgpedersen
      >> <tgpedersen@h...> wrote:
      >>
      >> >Here's a version with even fewer rules:
      >>
      >> But they're all wrong.
      >>

      >Because...?

      Because the rules you gave were:

      >PIE > pp-PS
      >*ai, *oi > *e

      Obviously wrong. *ai gives /ê/, not /e/, and only after the
      first palatalzation.

      >pp-PS > p-PS
      >*V(:) > *jV(:), /V front

      Wrong as I explained (*ji would have given /i/, not /I/, in
      OCS).

      >p-PS > PS
      >*k > *c
      >*kW > *k
      >PS >
      >*cj > *c^

      Wrong, since PIE *k and *kW before vowels merged already in
      PBS, giving Slavic /k/ before back vowels, /c^/ before front
      vowels (and later /c/ before secondary /ê/ from *ai, as well
      as after *i(:(N))).

      =======================
      Miguel Carrasquer Vidal
      mcv@...
    • glen gordon
      Message 51 of 51 , Nov 9, 2005
        Brian:
        > I've only ever used <choo> when reading aloud to
        > small kids.

        Then your speech here has been intentionally affected
        for dramatic effect. In normal speech, I don't
        make that distinction but maybe it's because I don't
        like kids too much. Too many germs :)

        = gLeN

        http://farechase.yahoo.com