[tied] Re: Sanskrit Rta... and related terms

  • Sean Whalen
    Message 1 of 62 , Nov 1, 2005
      --- Sean Whalen <stlatos@...> wrote:

      > --- david_russell_watson <liberty@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "stlatos"
      > > <stlatos@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > > all dental > retro after r. (dialect)
      > >
      > > Don't you count far far more instances of 'rt',
      > 'rth', 'rd',
      > > or 'rdh' than 'rt.', 'rt.h', 'rd.', or 'rd.h'?
      > > Actually, can
      > > you name even one word in Sanskrit with one of the
      > latter
      > > clusters?

      > What about mr.d.- "be gracious, pardon";
      > mr.d.i:ka-
      > "favor" from mld-dH3- "give
      > softness/allowance/mercy"?

      Also, drd.ha- < drd.d.ha- < drd.ha- < drg^hto-
      "hard, firm" from drh- < drg^h- "make firm, fasten".

      > > > To Sanskrit:
      > > >
      > > > all dental > retro after s., z., or n.
      > >
      > > After 'n.'?
      >
      > Yes. I don't know if you agree with all of these
      > derivations (not mine) but:
      >
      > melno- golno- H2ner.-ns
      > melno- golno- ner.-ns
      > melno- golno- ner.ns
      > melno- golno- nr.ns
      > mel.no- gol.no- nr.ns
      > mel.n.o- gol.n.o- nr.n.s
      > mel.n.o- gol.n.o- nr.n.s.
      > men.l.o- gon.l.o- nr.n.s.
      > men.d.o- gon.d.o- nr.n.s.
      >
      > man.d.ala- gan.da.- nrnĀš
      >
      > circle cheek (San) men acc. (Av)

      Also

      mldno- enr.o-
      mldno- endr.o-
      ml.dno- endr.o-
      ml.ndo- er.ndo-
      ml.n.do- er.n.do-
      ml.n.d.o- er.n.d.o-
      mr.n.d.o- er.n.d.o-
      mr.n.d.a- ar.n.d.a-
      mr.n.d.a- an.d.a-
      mun.d.a-

      blunt, hornless, egg
      head-shaven

      mun.d.a- < softened, worn down; an.d.a- < inner thing?

      r. > u is a change in the later-recorded languages so
      this must have been a popular word not a preserved
      form

      Later rules may obscure the scope of n>n. and retro.
      spreading.

      mld-maya- > mr.nmaya- "clay-measure/arrange" >
      "pottery"

      kr.netti>kr.n.atti>kr.n.tati "cuts"

      winedti>widneti>vindati "finds" (Av. vi:nasti "finds",
      vind@nti "they find")

      __________________________________
      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • stlatos
      Message 62 of 62 , Sep 26, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Sean Whalen <stlatos@...> wrote:

        > --- Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Sean Whalen wrote:
        > >
        > > > What about the Old Persian forms? I don't think
        > > > there's any possibility of hrt > s^ there. It
        > > looks
        > > > like free variation to me (with OP having a
        > > greater
        > > > tendency to analogic recreation of -ta-, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Av. OP
        > > >
        > > > m@s^a-/m@r@ta- marta- dead
        > > > m@r@Tyu- mars^iyu- death
        > > > mas^ya- martiya- mortal
        > > > p@s^u-/p@r@tu- bridge
        > > > as^a- ars^ta:- true, truth
        > > >

        > > Whatever happened in OP seems to be independent of
        > > the Avestan
        > > development, which is quite clearly correlated with
        > > the location of
        > > accent.

        There are other explanations given at:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avestan_phonology

        none of which makes any sense.

        The only possible explanation is free variation (shown by the same occurring in other Indo-Iranian l., as well as Armenian, etc.), of the form r.t. > r.s. ( > s.s.) > s. , among other free variation, such as in * tur.s.o+ > Armenian tHurc = cheek, tHus^ = cheek, tHuR = swelling (compare R / s^ variation in tHars^amim \ tHaRamim = wither ).