Vedic Rta... one last time

  • A.
    Message 1 of 62 , Oct 23, 2005
      Ooops, thought I was done with looking into various IE linguistics
      but....

      I know that the Snaskrit Rta, Sanskrit Ritu, and Avestan Asha all
      ultimately derive from the PIE root *Ar- "to fit together" but what I
      am unsure about are the intermediate stages between *Ar- and the
      finished terms.

      Could anyone clarify whether the terms Rta/Ritu/Asha stem from the
      suffixed form *ar-ti- from which we get artisan and the Greek
      artios 'fitting'?
      Or do they stem from the variant form *re- (which gives rate, ratio,
      rede) or possibly the variant form *rei (from which come rite and
      arithmos)??

      Sincerely,
      Aydan
    • stlatos
      Message 62 of 62 , Sep 26, 2011
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, Sean Whalen <stlatos@...> wrote:

        > --- Piotr Gasiorowski <gpiotr@...> wrote:
        >

        > > Sean Whalen wrote:
        > >
        > > > What about the Old Persian forms? I don't think
        > > > there's any possibility of hrt > s^ there. It
        > > looks
        > > > like free variation to me (with OP having a
        > > greater
        > > > tendency to analogic recreation of -ta-, etc.
        > > >
        > > > Av. OP
        > > >
        > > > m@s^a-/m@r@ta- marta- dead
        > > > m@r@Tyu- mars^iyu- death
        > > > mas^ya- martiya- mortal
        > > > p@s^u-/p@r@tu- bridge
        > > > as^a- ars^ta:- true, truth
        > > >

        > > Whatever happened in OP seems to be independent of
        > > the Avestan
        > > development, which is quite clearly correlated with
        > > the location of
        > > accent.

        There are other explanations given at:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avestan_phonology

        none of which makes any sense.

        The only possible explanation is free variation (shown by the same occurring in other Indo-Iranian l., as well as Armenian, etc.), of the form r.t. > r.s. ( > s.s.) > s. , among other free variation, such as in * tur.s.o+ > Armenian tHurc = cheek, tHus^ = cheek, tHuR = swelling (compare R / s^ variation in tHars^amim \ tHaRamim = wither ).