[cybalist] Re: Semantic fields

    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 3, 1999
      "alexander stolbov" <astolbo-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/cybalist/?start=402
      > Piotr:
      > <<They may be distantly related to the *perx- root, but not in the
      way you
      > suggest. Hittite perunas means 'rock', so does pirwa-; and Skt.
      parvata- means
      > 'mountain'. Pirwas was a Rock God (just like the Rolling Stones
      ;-)).>>

      > Are Hittite words "perunas" (rock) and "parku" (high) cognates?
      >
      > Alexander

      Probably not. _Parku_ is convincingly explained as *bhrgh-u-s,
      containing the root *bhergh- well known from Germanic (Geman Berg,
      Gebirge, English barrow, Gothic bairga-hait etc.; also burg 'hill fort'
      from the zero grade), Indic (brhant) and Slavic (Russian bereg, Polish
      brzeg; also Polish bardzo < *brzo 'very [much]').
      Piotr
    • Christopher Gwinn
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 3, 1999
        > I have never met such ethymology. Please give the list of cognates of
        *PER- "to
        > rub" and some explanation. Is rubbing a way of producing thunder and
        lightnings?
        > Or what?

        I am sorry, I meant to say *PER- = "hit/strike" (I confused it with *PES-
        "rub")

        >I wonder, are there other ethymological connection between South and Right,
        >North and Left, East and Forward (Front), West and Back?

        Celtic languages maintain the full system of North=Left, Right=South,
        Front=East, Back=West.

        We have Greek Nerteros "pertaining to the otherworld" which is
        etymologically related to English "North"
        The Germanic Hell (or Otherworld) was placed in the North - which parallels
        the meanings behind the Irish words Tuaith "North" (*Teuti-) and Tuath
        (*Teut-o) which means "left/evil" and Old Welsh Tut "magician" (*Teut-o).
      • Ivanovas/Milatos
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 5, 1999
          Hello,
          Christopher wrote:
          >We have Greek Nerteros "pertaining to the otherworld" which is
          >etymologically related to English "North"
          >The Germanic Hell (or Otherworld) was placed in the North - which parallels
          >the meanings behind the Irish words Tuaith "North" (*Teuti-) and Tuath
          >(*Teut-o) which means "left/evil" and Old Welsh Tut "magician" (*Teut-o).

          I thought I'd remind you that apart from the linguistic 'north'- connections
          the ancient Greeks also believed Apollo to stay 'behind the north wind', far
          away in an otherworld of 'boreas' during the Winter - even though the sun in
          Winter seems to hide in the south and make the dark north even darker.
          Although here in Greece even in Winter there is a lot of light, the darkness
          of the north seems to have been frightening enough to believe the god of
          light to have gone to the fearful 'northern' darkness.
          And one question: Does the name of the 'Tuatha de Danaan' in Irish mythology
          then mean 'northern Dan(aen) people'? Why? where there others, too?

          Sabine