Re: [tied] Singulative

  • Richard Wordingham
    Message 1 of 5 , May 2, 2005
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Patrick Ryan" <proto-language@m...>
      wrote:
      > You are relying on a, what many of us would consider, highly dubious
      authority.

      > In my opinion, -k is always a diminutive.
      >
      > I have never seen an example of -k in any language that I could
      analyze as a singulative.

      I wonder if there may be an automatic potential semantic overlap. A
      recent example in English would be slang _quidlet_ 'pound (money)'
      from slang _quid_ 'pound', which has uninflected plural. I don't
      recall 'quidlet' being used for large sums, though that may have
      changed since my youth.

      Richard.