Re: [tied] Re: Cimbri & Teutoni

    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1 7:07 AM

      Sent: Friday, September 01, 2000 6:28 AM
      Subject: [tied] Re: Cimbri & Teutoni

      Thanks for the literary reference. I'll certainly read McCulloch's novels if I get hold of them.

      Piotr

      The Cymbri-Teutone invasions involved a whole series of Celtic
      peoples as well as Germanic ones.  They weathered for one harvest in
      Belgium, enrolling a number of Celtic tribes into their cause, some
      of whom emerged into leadership positions.  Possibly the best source
      for this is the excellent and very readable historical novels of the
      Australian Colleen McCulloch (for which she was awarded a PhD in
      Ancient History.  Her bibiolographies are a wealth of sources on te
      period from Marius to the rise of Ceasar.

      She even suggests that it was Cornelius Sulla who provided the Romans
      with their "intelligence" about the Cymbri-Teutones in Jutland.  The
      books are excellent for anyone who is interested in this period of
      history.

      Regards

      John

    • tgpedersen@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 21, 2000
        > Thanks for the literary reference. I'll certainly read McCulloch's
        novels if I get hold of them.

        > Piotr
        >

        > The Cymbri-Teutone invasions involved a whole series of Celtic
        > peoples as well as Germanic ones. They weathered for one harvest
        in
        > Belgium, enrolling a number of Celtic tribes into their cause, some
        > of whom emerged into leadership positions. Possibly the best
        source
        > for this is the excellent and very readable historical novels of
        the
        > Australian Colleen McCulloch (for which she was awarded a PhD in
        > Ancient History. Her bibiolographies are a wealth of sources on te
        > period from Marius to the rise of Ceasar.
        >
        > She even suggests that it was Cornelius Sulla who provided the
        Romans
        > with their "intelligence" about the Cymbri-Teutones in Jutland.
        The
        > books are excellent for anyone who is interested in this period of
        > history.
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > John

        This is rather late in the discussion, but I've only just joined
        the group.
        Traditionally in Denmark, the Cimbri are thought of as coming from
        the landscape of Himmerland, and the Teutones from the landscape
        of Thy, both in Northern Jutland. The main road in the largest
        town there, Aalborg, has a sculpture known as the "Cimbrian Bull".
        Ambrones have been connected with the North Friesian Island of
        Amrum.
        And while I'm at it: Vandals are thought of here as coming from
        Vendsyssel (Wændlæ-syssel), also in Northen Jutland.

        Regards
        Torsten Pedersen