PIE *spe:- 'to thrive'

  • Abdullah Konushevci
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 3, 2004
      I guess that zero-grade form *spH1- of PIE root *spe: `to thrive,
      prosper' (contracted from *speH1-) in suffixed form *spH1-ti yields
      Alb. adverb <fët> `quickly', also <fët e fët> `very quickly'.
      Synonym <shpejt> `quickly' (cf. Eng. speed, Godspeed < *spo:-ti,
      Sll. <uspeti> `to prosper' etc.). But, I guess too that suffixed
      form *spH-ro > har•lis `to thrive, prosper' is a denominative of
      <hare> `joy, gladness'. We have regular *sp > f in PAlb. Also, we
      know as regular alternation /h/ ~ /f/, so it's not hard to assume as
      well as alternation /f/ ~ /h/.
      According to V. Orel this verb is borrowed from NGk *kharalizo, a
      derivative of <kharizo> `to do something agreeable' and according to
      Çabej a derivative of <harlë>, variant of <harrje> `midge'.
      I find too <hare> `joy, gladness' also derived from this root, where
      ending <e> is a marker of pluralized singular (cf. also Lat.
      denominative <sperare> `to hope' from plural <speres> `hopes'.).

      Any comments?

      Konushevci