Re: Thor's charriot

  • thrsnmrtn
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
      --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott" <BMScott@s...>
      wrote:
      > >> Tanngnjost (den tanngnissende) og Tanngrisne (åpne
      > >> mellomrom mellom tennene),
      >
      > >> Tanngnjost (the tooth-rubbing) and Tanngrisne (open space
      > >> between the teeth),
      >
      > > That "grisne" of Tanngrisne, I take it is the English
      > > "grin", German "grinsen", which does involve an open space
      > > between the teeth?
      >
      > <Tanngnjóstr> 'Teeth-gnasher' (cf. <gnísta> 'to gnash (of
      > teeth), to snarl (of dogs)') and <Tanngrísnir>, perhaps
      > 'Teeth-barer': de Vries says that there's a nynorsk <grísa>
      > 'whine (greinen), show the teeth'. According to the OED,
      > Eng. <grin> goes with ON <grenja> 'to howl' and OSwed.
      > <gra:nia> 'to roar; to gnash or show the teeth
      > threateningly'. These /gr-/ words appear to be a bit of a
      > mess; I wonder whether Piotr can shed any light on them.
      >
      > Brian

      According to an official dictionary:

      Norsk

      grissen adj -t, grisne (besl med grine) utett, glissen g- furuskog .

      (My comment/translation):

      grissen adj -t, grisne (related to grine) undense, open g- pinewood.
      --------

      Nynorskordboka

      TILSLAGSORD ARTIKKEL FRÅ NYNORSKORDBOKA
      grissen grisen el. grissen adj -en [-i], -e el. -i [-ent], grisne
      (smh med grine)
      glisen; (My trans: thin, spread, undense, spread)
      utett, (My trans: undense)
      uheil; (My trans: broken (f ex cask)
      spreidd,(My trans: spread)
      tynn (My trans: thin)
      (sett)My trans seen) g- vegg, (My trans a wall that is not tight)
      trøye /
      g- skog, (My trans: open forest)
      busetnad / folk bur grise der . (My trans: Settlement/people live
      spread there.)
      grissen adj -en [-i], -e el. -i [-ent], grisne el. grisen s d .

      Morten
    • Joao
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        Thanks.