Re: [tied] Re: Thor's charriot

  • alex
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 31, 2004
      Brian M. Scott wrote:
      >>> Tanngnjost (den tanngnissende) og Tanngrisne (�pne
      >>> mellomrom mellom tennene),
      >
      >>> Tanngnjost (the tooth-rubbing) and Tanngrisne (open space
      >>> between the teeth),
      >
      >> That "grisne" of Tanngrisne, I take it is the English
      >> "grin", German "grinsen", which does involve an open space
      >> between the teeth?
      >
      > <Tanngnj�str> 'Teeth-gnasher' (cf. <gn�sta> 'to gnash (of
      > teeth), to snarl (of dogs)') and <Tanngr�snir>, perhaps
      > 'Teeth-barer': de Vries says that there's a nynorsk <gr�sa>
      > 'whine (greinen), show the teeth'. According to the OED,
      > Eng. <grin> goes with ON <grenja> 'to howl' and OSwed.
      > <gra:nia> 'to roar; to gnash or show the teeth
      > threateningly'. These /gr-/ words appear to be a bit of a
      > mess; I wonder whether Piotr can shed any light on them.
      >
      > Brian

      the "g" disturb me a bit here if the ON "grenja" is the same with MHD
      "grinnan". Why I say "it disturb me"? Because from the semantic point of
      view, it appears to be near enough to Rom. "r�nji" (to green)<
      *rengi/*renzi; "my problem is if there has been originaly an "g" since
      usualy the cluster "gr" does not get reduced to "r" in Rom. If the Rom. word
      is -as it is considered- a loan from Bulgarian "rAnZa"(to snarl, to growl),
      then maybe the reduction gr > r happened in Slavic already.

      Alex
    • thrsnmrtn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
        --- In cybalist@yahoogroups.com, "Brian M. Scott" <BMScott@s...>
        wrote:
        > >> Tanngnjost (den tanngnissende) og Tanngrisne (åpne
        > >> mellomrom mellom tennene),
        >
        > >> Tanngnjost (the tooth-rubbing) and Tanngrisne (open space
        > >> between the teeth),
        >
        > > That "grisne" of Tanngrisne, I take it is the English
        > > "grin", German "grinsen", which does involve an open space
        > > between the teeth?
        >
        > <Tanngnjóstr> 'Teeth-gnasher' (cf. <gnísta> 'to gnash (of
        > teeth), to snarl (of dogs)') and <Tanngrísnir>, perhaps
        > 'Teeth-barer': de Vries says that there's a nynorsk <grísa>
        > 'whine (greinen), show the teeth'. According to the OED,
        > Eng. <grin> goes with ON <grenja> 'to howl' and OSwed.
        > <gra:nia> 'to roar; to gnash or show the teeth
        > threateningly'. These /gr-/ words appear to be a bit of a
        > mess; I wonder whether Piotr can shed any light on them.
        >
        > Brian

        According to an official dictionary:

        Norsk

        grissen adj -t, grisne (besl med grine) utett, glissen g- furuskog .

        (My comment/translation):

        grissen adj -t, grisne (related to grine) undense, open g- pinewood.
        --------

        Nynorskordboka

        TILSLAGSORD ARTIKKEL FRÅ NYNORSKORDBOKA
        grissen grisen el. grissen adj -en [-i], -e el. -i [-ent], grisne
        (smh med grine)
        glisen; (My trans: thin, spread, undense, spread)
        utett, (My trans: undense)
        uheil; (My trans: broken (f ex cask)
        spreidd,(My trans: spread)
        tynn (My trans: thin)
        (sett)My trans seen) g- vegg, (My trans a wall that is not tight)
        trøye /
        g- skog, (My trans: open forest)
        busetnad / folk bur grise der . (My trans: Settlement/people live
        spread there.)
        grissen adj -en [-i], -e el. -i [-ent], grisne el. grisen s d .

        Morten
      • Joao
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2004
          Thanks.