Re: [tied] Uralic Substrate in Germanic?

  • petegray
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 8 11:58 PM
      I thought contact between the two language groups was fairly well
      established (e.g. Germanic borrowings into Finnish). But contact is not the
      same as substrate. The former produces borrowings and areal phenomena (such
      as in the Baltic Sprachbund) which can affect both phonology and morphology.
      Perhaps this is enough for what you describe?

      Peter